What kind of tires you running on the P/U?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ry%3D320

Haha. Even my skidder tires load up in that kind of muck.
You need some chains.:laugh:

Andy

Thats the kind of mud we have around here, clay mostly with a little bit of sand mixed in to make it really abrasive. It sticks to everything...

My old 95 Cummins had 36x12.50R16.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT's on it, and that thing was as good as any Jeep or Land Cruiser in the mud that had standart MT's on it. Just had to make sure you kept the momentum going to clear the mud out of the tires. Those were Bias ply tires, but they held every load I ever put on them, even 5 yards of mulch at least 4 times a year. They were cheap too, about $400 a set as military surplus. Problem was, they sucked on the highway, and wore unevenly.

I don't want to go through mud pits with this thing, if that was the case, I'd get some boggers and use the weight of the Cummins to my advantage. I just need a good street/trail tire to get me in and out of jobsites, and then back home. I'm probably gonna end up with the Procomp XAT's.

I live in north Louisiana and we have had Gustav coming through, so yesterday before the winds hit I went to make sure my box stand was secured well to withstand the winds........the road was not horrible, but pretty slick.........it was the closest I have come to getting stuck and actually making it out. I think it has to do with the truck being so heavy on the front, and light in the back.

Amen! I've got a 96, and it is squirrelly in the back when empty and squirrelly in the front when loaded. It has 145/16/75 Uniroyal 10 plys, and they are too narrow, great for rocks, but not much good on muddy, slick roads.

bridgestone AT dueler revo
I am on my second set on my 03 2500hd duramax and I love em. Great all around tire. Whoever post the steeltex AT as a good tire is on crack. These came stock on my truck and you could literally get stuck in what I would consider a mud puddle, also I only got about 45,000 miles out of them. Get the revo's and you will not regret it.
:givebeer:

You know what they say,opinions are like a$$holes,everybody has one.Me and two freinds each run them,mine are on a 96 ram with a cummins and one of the others is on a 2000 powerstroke and the other is on a 97 F-250.I've walked 46-48000 pounds out of muddy cornfeilds on a tri axle gooseneck many times,15000pounds out of the woods many times too and have never had anything hooked to me to pull me out of anywhere and the guy with the F-250 plows snow commercialy and all three of us are on 2nd and 3rd setsand all have went 75000-85000miles no problem

You know what they say,opinions are like a$$holes,everybody has one.Me and two freinds each run them,mine are on a 96 ram with a cummins and one of the others is on a 2000 powerstroke and the other is on a 97 F-250.I've walked 46-48000 pounds out of muddy cornfeilds on a tri axle gooseneck many times,15000pounds out of the woods many times too and have never had anything hooked to me to pull me out of anywhere and the guy with the F-250 plows snow commercialy and all three of us are on 2nd and 3rd setsand all have went 75000-85000miles no problem

All I have to say is you have not been in the right places yet. I've had a toyota tundra 4x4, a ford f150 4x4, both extended cabs and I can't even dream of taking this dodge where I never blinked about taking either of those trucks. I have gotten stuck in my own yard twice........once that front end starts sinking the fat lady has sung. Don't get me wrong.......I don't look for bad places, and none of the places I have been stuck were bad........the front end is just so heavy. I will say though that with a trailer weighing the back end down some it is better than empty.

I don't doubt that the revos are good tires, I have read many good things about them.........I just don't believe they can overcome physics.

Waylan

All I have to say is you have not been in the right places yet. I've had a toyota tundra 4x4, a ford f150 4x4, both extended cabs and I can't even dream of taking this dodge where I never blinked about taking either of those trucks. I have gotten stuck in my own yard twice........once that front end starts sinking the fat lady has sung. Don't get me wrong.......I don't look for bad places, and none of the places I have been stuck were bad........the front end is just so heavy. I will say though that with a trailer weighing the back end down some it is better than empty.

I don't doubt that the revos are good tires, I have read many good things about them.........I just don't believe they can overcome physics.

Waylan
nah,I'm the one that Newby 79 said is on crack.I posted about the steeltex a.t.s.Like was posted earlier,a lot of it depends on where your at(east central Indiana) and how you go about it. thanks Scott

Interco TSL SSR's are a great tire. Have Bias ply pies walls with radial treads. also and sipes for snow and rain. Expect to get about 20-40,000 Miles on them. depending on how you drive where you drive and tire pressure.

Waylan

I'll put my Dodge on 35x12.50's against any stock Tundra, or F150. Sure the weight is a problem, but if you get the right tires to expand the footprint, the PSI load to the ground can be the same or better, so weight becomes a non issue (to a point, momentum can be a PITA). As far as traction goes, the LSD in the Dodge is one of the best if its taken care of, Dana parts really can't be beat.

I'll put my Dodge on 35x12.50's against any stock Tundra, or F150. Sure the weight is a problem, but if you get the right tires to expand the footprint, the PSI load to the ground can be the same or better, so weight becomes a non issue (to a point, momentum can be a PITA). As far as traction goes, the LSD in the Dodge is one of the best if its taken care of, Dana parts really can't be beat.

I had all terrains on both the tundra and ford, and running 315-70-r17's (equivalent to 35/12.50's) the dodge would lose badly. Been hunting the same place for the last 15 years and never had a problem running the roads in the lighter trucks. I used to go out looking for mudholes in the tundra........and rarely ever got stuck. If you want to be competitive against that truck you need more than 35/12.50's IMHO.

And I like my dodge........for everything but offroad.

Waylan

Keep in mind Waylan, not everyone does the same kind of wheeling, and mud is not the same stuff everywhere you go. I've had plenty of trails where my old Jeep with 33x15.50 Swamper SX's would get stuck in 10" deep mud, because it was too light, but the old Power Wagon or the Cummins would drive right through it with a set of M/T's because it sank down far enough to get some bite. And up here in the north, we go wheeling in the snow, and for anything but deep drifts, you want something with some weight to it, and the Cummins pushes through just about anything, especially with chains. Jeep's, FJ's, Rangers, even most FST's get stuck in this stuff, because they float up on the snow, then sink down in a soft spot and get high centered.

A lot of the logging roads I travel are 8-12" of mud over either gravel or bedrock, the skidders cut treads a lot, and most Pickups can't get back very far without a set of chains. The only stock vehicles I've seen get back there are the Forestry Workers new Power Wagon (with stock size M/T's instead of the A/T's) and the owners H1. My Cummins won't make it back there without lockers front and rear, but the winch gets me anywhere I need to go.

Last edited:
Keep in mind Waylan, not everyone does the same kind of wheeling, and mud is not the same stuff everywhere you go. I've had plenty of trails where my old Jeep with 33x15.50 Swamper SX's would get stuck in 10" deep mud, because it was too light, but the old Power Wagon or the Cummins would drive right through it with a set of M/T's because it sank down far enough to get some bite. And up here in the north, we go wheeling in the snow, and for anything but deep drifts, you want something with some weight to it, and the Cummins pushes through just about anything, especially with chains. Jeep's, FJ's, Rangers, even most FST's get stuck in this stuff, because they float up on the snow, then sink down in a soft spot and get high centered.

A lot of the logging roads I travel are 8-12" of mud over either gravel or bedrock, the skidders cut treads a lot, and most Pickups can't get back very far without a set of chains. The only stock vehicles I've seen get back there are the Forestry Workers new Power Wagon (with stock size M/T's instead of the A/T's) and the owners H1. My Cummins won't make it back there without lockers front and rear, but the winch gets me anywhere I need to go.

Maybe I need to move to enjoy my truck more! Because it stinks around here offroad.

Waylan

Latest posts

Back