What kind of tree is this ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vern

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know this tree looks really bad ,but I cut one next
to to it that looked bad also but 6 feet up is a nice solid
log I have never seen this type of tree before it`s barkless
as you can see but the twist and the horizonal lines are
a bit diffient any ideals ?

I am definitely not an expert on this stuff but will take a guess.
The twist could easily be from wind stress.
Close growth rings: a harder of the hardwood species. Color is reddish.
So... Red Oak?

Was the one you cut down fairly heavy? Hard to cut?

the only tree around here that ive ever seen that is 'barkless' is a sycamore tree--and thats only further up the tree--and has a slight off green color upward---me thinks the bark is already off--and there dead standing???

I know this tree looks really bad ,but I cut one next
to to it that looked bad also but 6 feet up is a nice solid
log I have never seen this type of tree before it`s barkless
as you can see but the twist and the horizonal lines are
a bit diffient any ideals ?

On good Norwegian we call that råttstokk!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Looks like standing dead elm. Does it split like a mother and burn fast? Elm like that actually sluffs it's bark off making it look different.

When I cut it ,it was more of a light green, it took
several days to go to brown....it was really easy to cut also,
the first (tree I cut)one was a third bigger with more of a twist.
It reminded me of poplar( the light green) ,but I have cut alot of
poplar and this tree is not even close except in the color.

building some steps to go upstairs out of some old
Elm I cut up last week.......Some of it was really dry so I
felt safe building my steps out of it............

Vern

I'm no expert either, but the way that thing is twisted like a candy cane, I'd agree with the others with Elm. Those are some very solid looking steps BTW!

It Looks Like Elm At First, But Around Here An Elm Standing Dead Would Be Full Of Spalt On The Base. This One Appears To Have None. I Have A Few Dead Popples That Look Similar To That, All Twisted And Narly. I'd Mill A Little And See What Happens. It May Be To Twisted To Be Any Good.

tree

does look like elm the only tree i know that twists a lot is
hophornbeam or ironwood or beachnut beach is easy to cut
has no real bark and is sometimes large. This tree appears
to have been dead a very long time long enough for all bark
to have slipped and decayed in that case could be a
cottonwood the only thing very certain is it is dead dead

does look like elm the only tree i know that twists a lot is
hophornbeam or ironwood or beachnut beach is easy to cut
has no real bark and is sometimes large. This tree appears
to have been dead a very long time long enough for all bark
to have slipped and decayed in that case could be a
cottonwood the only thing very certain is it is dead dead

I'm on dial up here but from what ropen says I am going to say, hophornbean. And correct one thing in his post, beach is easy to cut but hophornbean is not. It will stand a long time after it is dead, the bark does peal off easily and it is twisted in nature. I'll open the pics Wed when I get home. Can't wait to what's inside.

Your house looks really nice. If it were in Sweden, we would take away the trees near the house to keep the house looking nice in the years to come;) Looks like a storm could pose problems...

Thanks for your concern T but I like my trees keeps me cool in the
summer and adds to the look of the placeand if trees fall and hit
barn me fix.........

many thanks Vern

attachment.php

Let me know if this uploads okay for you. If so, I'll post some more pics. We are sitting out the storm also.

We can travel, but no sense in having an accident unless there is a Pizza or Hot Wings emergency.

attachment.php

Let me know if this uploads okay for you. If so, I'll post some more pics. We are sitting out the storm also.

We can travel, but no sense in having an accident unless there is a Pizza or Hot Wings emergency.

Got yourself a little rep for that PA.
No sense in getting into an accident unless there's 360's to do either. There is definitly gonna be some of that tonight. I stuck here because we have electirc heat and if the power goes out I need to be here to stoke the fire to keep the pipes from freezing.

Now, about that tree. Yes it's dead alright. Looks to me like it took some lightning. I am going to say sycamore. I have one on a job that looks just like that with those smooth long bumps where the branches were. And the green wood is the clincher.

Back