what kind of tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the red arrowed one i thinks is birch and the purple arrow one i think is applejust my 2cents worth this is the first time i posted a pic so if it dont work ill try again larry

Yes the white is birch but the split piece look like black gum.
I could split some and post a pic and it would look exactly like it.
I even seemed to see some cottonwood mixed in, there is several
different woods in that little pile.

Last edited:
Whatever it was I set it all aside and split the rest. So last night my buddy shows up, he's one of those I know everything and can do everything better then you kind of guys. Well he came over to help me split even though I never asked (probably thought I couldn't handle it all) to his surprise I was all done and pilling the wood. He was disapointed that he didn't get to split any, So I said to him " you can split those" as I pointed ovre to the 3-4 pieces I had set aside. You guys need to understand this guys attitude he thinks everyone is stupid he knows everything, he goes to the gym everyday eats as good as possible he's 5'9 190lbs of muscle.. SO,, 1st log he take a bif swing and the axe bounces back about 2'.. 2nd.. 3.. he's not giving up and I'm having a hard time holding it in.. After I couldn't hold it in anymore I told him what was up. Good thing I did because he split every last piece just because he wasn't going to let the log win...

I was going to run and get my camera and take a video but the batter was dead..

still makes me laugh when I remember his face as the logs laughed at him. :clap:

After lookign at my trailer I think I was mistaken when I said I had no shackles I do have 2 on the equalizer bar were those the ones youwere talkign about. Also I just noticed to night that my trailer is balanced. I un-hooked it from the truck, pushed it back and let it go it just bobbed and balanced itself without the jack in the front touching the ground..??

Last edited:
Good thing I did because he split every last piece just because he wasn't going to let the log win...

I was going to run and get my camera and take a video but the batter was dead..

still makes me laugh when I remember his face as the logs laughed at him. :clap:

He really must have had something to prove to those logs. He sure showed them, huh ?

Good thing he came along to straighten things out , other wise you might have had to resort to quartering them with the chainsaw. I figure if I'm not making progress by the third or fourth whack at it, I set it aside to make 'cookies' out of it or I will quarter it up. Either way I relish the tough ones as they go in the fire. Quite satisfying to know they still ended up there afterall.

It was entertaining to say the least. I had thought about getting out the saw but I wasn't sure what would have taken longer splitting by hand or attacking the log with my 180!!

He really must have had something to prove to those logs. He sure showed them, huh ?

I relish the tough ones as they go in the fire. Quite satisfying to know they still ended up there afterall.

I used to keep the toughies in a special place for this same reason. Now I just mix them in with the rest of the stack because I can pick them out - just the look of most of them jogs the memories of ordeals with rounds that will only yield with great exertion.

Glad to hear you got em split .

Pictures of bark & grain look like Beech to me ,splitting that hard also fits Beech well.
Excellent firewood but watch out for a shower of small sparks when you open the stove door.

Glad to hear you got em split .

Pictures of bark & grain look like Beech to me ,splitting that hard also fits Beech well.
Excellent firewood but watch out for a shower of small sparks when you open the stove door.

I revise my answer. 13450 is right I think. I was thrown by the bark, which doesn't have the classic elephant skin look of beech but can get that kind of look to it.

Back