What kind of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I saw this on Craigslist, and it looks identical to a logtruck load that I passed this morning. Anybody know what it is? I'm thinking poplar, but what do the experts say?

attachment.php

either ash or poplar. i cant tell from the pic if thats a yellow heart or a brown heart.

Green heart.

Good to hear the votes for ash - there's a ton up where I saw the logging truck. I drive that way every day, and there are some good roadside pickin's available.

Any other votes?

Tulip poplar or basswood then?

id say tulip poplar. the heart can be yellow, in older trees, or green in younger. it also sometimes has black or purple patches in the heart. if you start throwing purple sawdust you know thats it. a closer shot would go a long way...

1st guess is Tulip.

If it is Tulip Poplar it's super fantastic firewood if you want a quick, hot fire that is burned out in 2 1/2 minutes.

J/k of course. It's not quite that bad, but close. Shoulder season firewood.

tulip poplar. GREAT wood for a first, fast load. Gets my stove up to temp quicker than anything.

I thought popular was given as a gift to newley weds back in the day by there parents. And buy the next winter they whould have grand kids, if you no what I mean:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

how bout a bigger pic ....so theres less guess work and a much more precise answer

Back