What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris J.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
This pic is grainy but I was on a call today and saw this under a canopy on a vacant building. It had Southbend on it and looked antique. Don't know if it worked or not. It was pretty big. Don't know who owns it. I thought about finding who owned it and what the deal was. I snapped a pic because I remembered this thread. I know nothing about lathes.

8D53B356-2C0A-445D-B6CA-E8DE7C0F5E16-941-000001691E1B6DFB.jpg

Dang, man, you might be be able to get that for a song :musical-note:!

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Those lathe's are real nice, too bad its only 7" swing though. Too small for what I want, and around here they are $$$$$$$$$

These myfords are very wanted over here by restorers of cars, bikes, etc. I live nearby Liege which is/was hometown of many gunsmiths that used to work on these lathes. Some say they are overrated, others love them to death. All I can say is that its mechanics look real nice and condition is seems to be perfect. 7" is maybe small indeed, but if you need to go big, there are quite a few people, especially farmers, who have big lathes around, at least in my place. Space is a key factor as well.... I don't have room enough for a big one.

My budget was not too big either, so being able to buy it directly while avoiding the net is a big bonus (less than 1k)

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
These myfords are very wanted over here by restorers of cars, bikes, etc. I live nearby Liege which is/was hometown of many gunsmiths that used to work on these lathes. Some say they are overrated, others love them to death. All I can say is that its mechanics look real nice and condition is seems to be perfect. 7" is maybe small indeed, but if you need to go big, there are quite a few people, especially farmers, who have big lathes around, at least in my place. Space is a key factor as well.... I don't have room enough for a big one.

My budget was not too big either, so being able to buy it directly while avoiding the net is a big bonus (less than 1k)

Good deal, however like I said, they are very nice lathes. But they are worth way more then I think they are, around here anyway, a well used one goes for way more then I paid for my mint restored Hercus 9"x36".

Nitroman

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite

While small, and this is a relative term, the Myford's are extremely accurate lathes. With the proper attachements, and there are many, almost anything can be done on them. If you guys go over to RDG Tools based out of the UK, you'll find the Myford is well-supported.

There is a fellow from the UK who wrote several books on model making used his Myford for almost all of his projects. I have one he wrote devoted to milling operations just using the lathe.

The fellow I bought my Atlas mill from made a pulley for one of the V-belt drives on the Atlas, he sent me a photo of it while he was machining the taper of the valley for the belt...amazing.

You may not be able to hog out a round bar of cast iron to make a cylinder liner for a GM 6-71, you could sure make a cylinder for an old chainsaw you could no longer find cylinders for.

Last edited:
Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
The fellow I bought my Atlas mill from made a pulley for one of the V-belt drives on the Atlas, he sent me a photo of it while he was machining the taper of the valley for the belt...amazing.

Myfords are nice but real expensive here in the states. I make pulleys by the dozens for South Bend and Atlas owners or anyone who needs a custom one.
Here is a lathe link that has info on almost every maker...
http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html
Here what i really like to make. Big balls. I made a ball turner and can make balls to 6" dia. Here is a 3" one...Bob

procarbine2k1

procarbine2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm still saving my P&Qs. I'm better than 1/2 way to my goal of $1500. Anyone interested in a running and complete Mall 7?:biggrin:

Good deal. Im glad you are saving up for a good one. I think you will be MUCH happier in the long run, and you may just find yourself eyeball deep in a new hobby. Machining is a LOT of fun, and you wont run out of uses for it. You will find a good one pretty soon, I have seen some nice Logans under your budget up here. I will keep my ears open!

Reyn

ArboristSite Operative
Its at least a SB 16" or even an 18" but i never saw an 18" with a bell leg. But then again i have never seen in person a SBL over 16" just pics...Bob
Some great SBL info The SBL Workshop - Home

Saw it again today. It has Southbend 16 on it. The building is a closed down post office. Has been closed for years. I don't know if an individual owns it or what. This is out in the country pretty much.

I'm gonna try and track down someone and get some info.

blsnelling
Good deal. Im glad you are saving up for a good one. I think you will be MUCH happier in the long run, and you may just find yourself eyeball deep in a new hobby. Machining is a LOT of fun, and you wont run out of uses for it. You will find a good one pretty soon, I have seen some nice Logans under your budget up here. I will keep my ears open!

I appreciate that.

Last edited:

Latest posts