What made these cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not a circular saw blade, the marks would all be paralel to each other and slightly curved, i say feller buncher too.

You mean like this different piece different angle.
PICT0437.jpg

PICT0436.jpg

PICT0435.jpg

If it was just a few pieces then i would have to say a feller buncher or something like that but where every piece is like this im leaning towards a processor with the others as wll. I just found it interesting never seen it before.

You say thats already seasoned ? It doesnt look seasoned to me, it looks like its been on the ground for awhile and just now bucked. I dont see any cracks from the drying process.

Yes, its very seasoned it was in a garage for at least year. It might even be kiln dried I have no idea where it came from but here is a post of how I got it.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=149372

I have to say some the answers in here are great I loved the OCD Beaver one.

I am saying a buck saw on a prentice loader in a log landing but i would not think they would have been in firewood length should have been log length unless they were just cut offs. bushnell

well, i only guess feller buncher because they cut FAST. judging by the pictures, it is obviously SOME sort of processor (technically a feller bucher is a processor, it just does more than most). whatever it is, you can see that it uses a round tooth chain, has a lot of force pushing it through the wood, and is not moving the teeth all that fast. if you look, you can see that all the grooves line up, all the way from the top to the bottom, so that would suggest something that is cutting with a bar that moves straight up and down as opposed to pivoting at one end. the splintered ends where the chain came out of the wood tells me that it was pushing pretty hard and not moving very fast, so i would guess it is hydraulic driven. that said, i've never seen anything in person that would make marks like that, might be worth askin for a picture of the guys setup if/when you get another load.

What does a feller buncher use to cut??? a circular saw in most cases if not 404 chain.It might be 404 chain with the rakers a little low because it does look only a 1/4 to 3/8's apart.
That red oak is "fluffy" on the outside 1/2 inch and bark because its a dead tree or one that has been laying around for a few years.
It is the early stages of decay.

What does a feller buncher use to cut??? a circular saw in most cases if not 404 chain.It might be 404 chain with the rakers a little low because it does look only a 1/4 to 3/8's apart.
That red oak is "fluffy" on the outside 1/2 inch and bark because its a dead tree or one that has been laying around for a few years.
It is the early stages of decay

with the bark still in tact like that, i doubt it. and i don't think i've ever seen a feller buncher with a circular saw blade???

Latest posts

Back