What makes a good climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scheffa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
hi all, wondering what people's thoughts are on what type of person makes a good climber prior to training?
I have been running a saws for a number of years milling and cutting firewood and have started to learn how to climb, from reading, YouTube the local saw shop etc.
Just curious if there is a particular type of person who is suited to climbing.
I'm 27, 78kg fit, healthy, strong for my size and flexible.
I am a qualified carpenter who has been running my own business for the last 7 years with up to9 blokes employed by me.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts

Great question and I'm interested to hear the responses. Most generally, I would want the guy or gal to be intelligent, athletic, and safety-conscious.

Pruning or removals?

If you want to do pruning, start by learning how to take care of trees. I would never send somebody into a tree as a climber who doesn't know how to prune a tree on the ground! Seems like people forget the reason we climb...there are great climbers who have no understanding of tree biology. They will do what is convenient for them because they don't know any better.

If you are doing removals, start by learning how branches behave when you cut them. Learn principles of rigging by watching somebody else...again, something you don't want to learn the same time you are learning to climb.

A guy who shows up every day and is willing to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

are you looking for someone who already knows how to climb? looking for a teacher to teach you to climb? I would have to agree with most of what was said above. Personality plays a big part, if you will employ them. Make sure you are of similar mind sets.

Back