What makes a race saw "hot"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think that's the beginning but not the whole story? 240psi will build some heat but not as fast as "hotsaws" do.

I really don't know a whole lot on the subject.....bits and pieces as I don't build this type of engine.

Depends on the fuel used and how much BTU's in the fuel.

Well??? I would think nitro would have to be involved in "HOT"...
Only cause of the "this thing's gonna blow up in my hands" factor...
Otherwise, it's just a good runnin' saw...

I know someone that has a John Deere that has that "this things gonna blow up in my hands" feeling to it....... It is a peppy thing for sure.:msp_wink:

I know someone that has a John Deere that has that "this things gonna blow up in my hands" feeling to it....... It is a peppy thing for sure.:msp_wink:

I think you had the "this thing's gonna blow up in my hands" thing cornered well at the last GTG. I wonder if that thing would run any better on alcohol than you do??

Has anyone ever tried setting one up like a propane burner
but fed it acetylene instead?

Fire only makes them hot for a few minutes... But charcoal forever.

2u9abuva.jpg

well, that's easy..the best and most sponsor stickers all over it, like valvoline, dunkin donuts, trojan, k&n, yada yada

next is, quality and quantity of "booth babes" accompanying said saw at the shows...

well, that's easy..the best and most sponsor stickers all over it, like valvoline, dunkin donuts, trojan, k&n, yada yada

next is, quality and quantity of "booth babes" accompanying said saw at the shows...

If that's the case, my saws ain't even luk-warm...

That'll get em hot pretty quick...

Done frequently on race saws.

Never done it myself, yet...

Truth be told, the "hotsaw" nomenclature is, most likely, a derivation of the term "hotrod" used to describe most any hopped-up car.

in saw racing the hotsaw is generally a pipe saw and is unlimited. more or less run what you brung as long as its under the hood or can be a bike saw

Admittedly not given this much thought. What are the physics involved? Flame, preignition, crown saturation? Squish band surface area to great or just plain lean mixture?

I'd say a nice dull chain and a slight case of syphillis

A change in a state of matter can have all sorts of byproducts one of which is heat unless that's what your after then it is the product. Energy realeased from this change can be in part heat as well as the force that is used. If you could have more of the energy in force and have less of it go into the heat byproduct you wil get more working efficiency.

Heat can be useful to warm up the fuel especially if you can get it just under the flash point just before igniton. Smokey Yunick did this in the 80's with a Fiero and got double the power with much better efficiency. But I believe his patent or at least idea was sold and we never really saw it put into the use that was predicted.

Exactly! Any patent posing any threat to the country's measured profit margins on fossil fuels will quickly be bought up and "vaulted". Fuel economy is good. But to much efficiency is bad for business. In 1985 Honda released a CRX capable of more that 50MPG. 1985! :msp_scared:
A 2012 model hybrid brags about 40.. Wag the dog.... Consumption = $$$$ :taped: Done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back