What motivates you to stay safe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What motivates you to stay safe?

Spent a couple weeks in hospital 33 years ago after getting between a tree and a dozer.

Wasn't any fun, tend to try to think ahead since then.

Probably not as careless as what I came across, but when working for Columbia Edgewater Country Club in the 80's, one of the men (figures with this guy) cut a limb off with a chainsaw that he was sitting off. I mean, cut between him and the trunk - cartoon style.

City or Portland Park Bureau just two years later, one guy gets pinched between a loader bucket and a wall, and another guy tries to jump start a big tractor while standing next to it and his head got ran over by the big back tire (no bad injury, probably was not a water filled tire).

No injury, but at a university campus in Portland, on the horticulture crew, a supervisor ("stuporvisor") stored pesticide Disyston (LD50 2) in a Folger's can in the break room in a cabinet. We nicknamed him the "Vermin" because his incompetence was supreme. Workers just sat around and just complained about him. I went to his boss while still on probation, and managed to get a big meeting organized. That resulted in an entire overhaul of the grounds management, extra facilities, benefits and safety gear. And, the supervisor retired 5 years early because he couldn't handle the pace of doing things right and professionally.

I have spent to much of my time pushing my luck, and have lost friends who pushed to hard. I can totally see I was just lucky before, now I have to be good, well planned, careful and no job is worth anyone getting hurt over.

Identify, eliminate, minimise.

Good topic

And some interesting responses. This is something I've had to ponder a bit myself over the past few years. Bottom line answer for me is my 2 young kids, ages 2 and 5. They rely on me, and I on them. I can't bear the thought of not being able to see them growing and learning and all the fun that goes with that.

This has come into more clear focus relatively recently. Tree care is not my full time gig anymore but I do quite a bit on a part time basis. I don't do a lot of huge, nasty jobs anymore, I'm very content to let other people bid them. However, even the smaller, easier jobs can go badly wrong really fast and I have to tell myself to slow down or take a second look at something fairly often.

What really has brought it into focus is my hobby, whitewater kayaking. I love steep creeking, there's nothing in the world like it. However, I've lost 2 close friends in the past 5 years, both running class 5 creeks. As a result, I paddle very little class 5 these days. This past spring, I got vertically pinned at the base of a small waterfall and had to get roped out by my paddling buddies. The pin was marginally stable, I had plenty of air, but the water was very cold and I knew that I wasn't going to be able to stay strong for too long between the cold water and the effort I was using to stay upright. Problem was, my friends didn't know I was in trouble. We had skipped basic safety rules on an "easy" drop. I could see them at times and could see the clear pocket of water that I needed to get to if I was going to survive. I was very aware that they didn't know that I was in trouble, that I had a limited amount of time to wait for them to figure it out, and that if they didn't figure it out in time I was going to have to try to extricate myself, before I got too weak. I was also very aware that not surviving was not an option because of my kids. We estimated that I was pinned for between 5 and 7 minutes before they figured out that I needed help. Once they did, they rigged a stabilization line, then a pulley, and got me out within 1 minute. At the time, I sort of shook it off as a dumb mistake and a good rescue. However, I still haven't quite come to grips with the reality of what was going on.

There are parallels between paddling and tree work. Whether it's peeling out of the last chance eddy at the top of a big drop or making the back cut on a big top, you pass a point of no return. At that very moment, you become 100% committed to finishing. The crystal clear focus at that moment is very zen like to me. I find peace there. It is easier to be zen about it when you know that you have the skills to instinctively correct whatever minor mistakes are about to occur, because you're certainly not going to have time to think about it. To do these things successfully time and again, you have to be able to do exactly what Timber said, identify, eliminate, and minimize your hazards. You also need to know when to walk away. And when it's something that feeds your soul, knowing when to walk away can get blurry.

Kind of over the top, I know, but it's my .02 anyway.

:cheers:

One of the biggest motivators for me is
looking at some of the pics of injuries and fatalities
at this site.
The more graphic,
the more motivated.

Excellent Posts

As an EMT I have seen the results when people get in a hurry. I have myself but try to think about the burden that it would put on my loved ones. These are the same reasons that I use a seat belt.

knowing that if I die my wife gets all that money.......lol

no, really, I just ain't ready to go, that's what keeps me safe.

Paddleheads are all just waiting to meet the big fish if they do alot of grade 5.

I would have to agree with Kevin J, photos from this site have given me a better appreciation of what can be the results of an injury. Tree machine has made me VERY aware and careful around my stumper, I would think his photos probably made a few of us more weary (I hope)

Probably the inconvenience of being injured. Through no real fault of my own I broke my arm and back in 1999, and healing took and long time and put a real crimp on my lifestyle.

My current company, a major player in the oil biz is huge on safety, and being lower management I try to support the program, stressing to my workers there is no rush as we gross $10 million a day from our site alone.

For me safety is all about PROFESIONALISM. We struggle in this industry to differenciate ourselves from the fly by night operations that pop up all the time. One way we can distance our operation from theirs is by knowing we are doing the right job the right way. We try hard everyweek to instill the "safety first" mindset in all our guys. I have 30 guys in my operation. Which means I have alot of liability rolling out there. We have weekly safety meetings where we cover various situations and discuss posible alternate options. We train our employees to do job briefings at every jobsite so that there is fewer chances people will get hurt because "i didnt know what my foreman was trying to do" We need to hold up our image in ths industry to keep as much respect in the publis eyes and this is one part of that. There are no justifications for taking short cuts.
btw, I'm a general foreman for a large line clearance tree company. We spend alot of time and money on safety. :cheers:

Paddleheads are all just waiting to meet the big fish if they do alot of grade 5.

I've spent a fair bit of time contemplating this very point. That would be part of the reason I don't paddle much class 5 these days. As much as I enjoy the challenge, there are other things that I enjoy more. I've had a couple of near misses that I'm aware of, how many have there been that I'm not aware of, where being a foot to the left or a foot to the right would have been a problem? Keeps things in perspective...

:givebeer:

My kid who depends on me to be around for a bit and not liking pain I think are my main motivators to recognizing my limitations and working safely within them. There is the rest of the family too but dwarflette is top priority in my book as I am the parent.

:cheers:

Serge

Excellant Post for 2 am reading

Lot of excellent replies to a very hard question.

Why work safe?

I work safe because ..... I love my wife of 26 years who trust me to be there for her.

I work safe because ..... I love my daughter who being 25 years old still needs a father and friend.

I work safe because ..... I love my son who is 35 years old and still needs to talk about things every 6 months or so.

I work safe because ..... I love my daughter who is 38 years and has learned to live her life.

I work safe because ..... ..... ..... My job as a husband, father, friend, teacher is still needed.

Good night all :computer:

A guy I know had a young and apparently proficient climber working for him. We had a real hot snap and it was the 3rd day that was going to get over 100. He was doing a dead TD and was really pushing everybody to get done befor it got scorching. He apparently didnt want to stop for lunch and tied on a huge limb. Everybody told him it was WAY TO BIG. He said "shut the F### up and make it smooth" The lead he was roping out of snapped and the jagged break struck him in the side of the face, ripped his face off, broke his neck and spun him out over the busy street where his rope got tangled around the primary lines. He was dead. Took fire dept 3 hours to get lines de-energized so they could get the corpse................

That's some cold , my friend. Man, who wants to read these stories! We all got 'em, but when I think about it, I do NOT want to go up those BIG, difficult trees! But thanks for sharing.

If I overthinked this I would have chosen a different occupation. I am safe now because my wife could not yet make it without me. I hope to get life insurance very soon:cry:

3 of the 4 best reasons are in my avatar.

The other swears if I kill myself through stupidity she will raise me from the dead so she can kill me herself. Gotta love a woman who can run a chipper, drag brush and buck a log. Also gotta keep that sort happy cos she sleeps less than I do and knows how to start a saw... :cheers:

Back