What one wood do you have more than any other in next years wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black cherry, black locust, sugar maple are first in line. No rush.

Sure would like to find some more northern red oak down.

Worst first, of course.

Ash! My favorite! I have my eye on some locust, but it isn't in the pile, YET! Locust is awesome, but the supply is limited.

I've burned pretty much all of these woods in the last 5 years or so.
Hard Maple
White Oak
Red Oak
Yellow Birch
I have about three cords of Maple left and just got three Yellow Birch and three White Birch trees from a friend this year.
It's cut and split and will be good to go next year or so.
I also have a very large White Birch on my property that needs to be felled as well as three or four large Trembling Aspens.
I have a decent sized White Oak to be taken down as well, but most of the straight trunk will be milled for some new cabinets and some table tops for next years house projects. The rest will be firewood.
But we have a lot of Maple here and it's one of my favourite firewoods.

Last edited:
I have about two cords hickory ten cords of white oak and some red oak and hackbury. I prolly could make next year with it but I prolly will sell a few cords. I have not let the fire go out since oct and burned around two plus cords so far.

90+% of what I use is white oak & ash. Occasionally some hickory or maple. But. with the arrival of the EAB around these parts, it looks as though Ash will be the bulk of it for several years to come.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Western Hemlock. I know, it isn't the best, but it doesn't take much to heat my house and the supply is easy and good. See the Teeter Totter Hemlock in the logging forum. There's that one and right next to it a bigger one that I've been working on.

I've also got two Bigleaf Maple trees in the backyard to cut on.

Red oak, ash, hedge...stumbled into a deal with a pallet factory that will let me have all the 4x4, 4x6, and 4x8 stickers that the cants come in on. they won't run them through a saw because of the danger of rocks...brought home two dump truck already...will need to season but it's almost all oak and hickory...so 2013 should be oak and hickory...

Always sounds like you guys are burning furniture. All those nice hardwoods!

Most of my "nice" hardwoods would make awful funny lookin furniture with all the bends, knots and whathaveya in em.

Now stop burning my lumber dangit - I need some of them to build a shed!

Same as the last 3 years....ASH...EAB killed it, so I cut it and burn it....almost exclusively...why cut a live one when there are so many standing dead?!?!

Most of my "nice" hardwoods would make awful funny lookin furniture with all the bends, knots and whathaveya in em.

Now stop burning my lumber dangit - I need some of them to build a shed!
Who the hell is that hottie with gun! That so turns me on. I love that gun.

Next years is about 50/50 maple/birch. I'm cutting now for 2012-13 and its going to be a real mixed bag of white & yellow birch, elm, maple and beech.

Back