What one wood do you have more than any other in next years wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2011 is split and stacked in the woods. I burn mostly red and white oak but lately I've been cutting my Ash off to get a jump on 2012

#1 hedge - just picked up two cords of probably 50 year old post...will dull 3 chains or more just cutting them in half for the OWB. Will mix in with.
#2 elm
#3 mulberry
#4 pine
#5 many more 2many to continue listing

I second the chick with the gun :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
50-50 Sugar Maple and Shagbark Hickory.
Cut and piled but not split. Saving up for a good splitter to take over the work load of a stressed 8 ton electric DR splitter.

I have a lot of White Ash, Red oak and Black Locust. Mostly Ash at the moment. We seemed to have done a lot of Ash removals.

Live oak, followed by red oak and cedar. I did get to split my first maple, easy stuff. After splitting that nasty live oak, I am not used to the whole round splitting after the wedge goes in 3 inches. You guys with all that straight grain wood has it nice. I take live oak all the way to the end, and still have to tug on it to get it apart.

Red maple-White Ash-red oak-beech-yellow birch-white birch.
More red maple than the others, but evenly split among the others.
It's just how the cookie crumbled on my current wood-lot.
There's a nice bit of hard maple out there, but I try my best to leave it standing. It's getting rare to find it in mid-NH.

I've got about 18 face cord for next year, off the top of my head it consists of 8 species. The largest portion is from one 8'x40" hard maple log that the state DOT so nicely dropped in my yard from a tree down the road they were removing. sometimes my NY taxes seem to do something for me:clap:

That's a hard one. Majority would be red oak or hickory. Cherry, various oaks, hard/soft maple, ash, cottonwood, and quite a bit of elm.

Pecan, nearly 100%. I have several "pulls" of oak and hickory that the loggers left when it got too wet to work, but there's no need to go to the trouble of getting it out of the woods when I have a nearly endless supply from the three pecan groves in the form of broken limbs, dead trees and thinned trees. Every time the wind blows in July or August, I have a cord or two from just broken limbs :( But with two stoves and an open fireplace going wide open right now trying to heat the entire universe through the cracks in our 70 year old house, I might even run out and be forced to hit the log decks for tops:laugh:

Most of you guys are sitting on some pretty good hard wood! Most of my stuff for nest year is Manitoba Maple (Box elder). It gets a bad wrap, but burns clean and hot, just doesn't last as long in the stove. I will be adding quite a bit of hard Maple and Ash over the next few weeks if the snow doesn't get too deep.

Tim

Back