What saw to buy? for christmas ;)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Dear AS community

I was thinking of buying a new saw for my father. He has a ~ 10 year old mini Mac with 1.1hp. The oiler stopped oiling and I have NO interest in fixing it.
Am I selfish in this matter? ;)
I have some larger saws and he just uses it every now and then for trimming work and some firewood.

So I saw a nice deal on a
1. Dolmar/Makita PS45 2.4hp, 16 inch blade

or should I go for a
2. Husqvarna 136/137 2.2hp, 15 inch blade

I know the 16 inch are optimistic but it's included and so what.

What do you believe would be a better deal in the long run?

Thanks for the info

7sleeper

Assuming you have decent Dolmar dealer, go that route.

Forget you ever heard of the Husky 136-137. They are rebadged Poulans. Most reputable Husky dealers around here don't even carry them as they are trash.

I was at one dealer when a gentleman brought a Lowes special in for repair. The owner appologized and told him no way he would repair it. The cost of parts and labor will add up to 60% of the cost of a new saw and you'll think I'm ripping you off. Needless to say the guy was not pleased.

Take Care

Dear AS community

I was thinking of buying a new saw for my father. He has a ~ 10 year old mini Mac with 1.1hp. The oiler stopped oiling and I have NO interest in fixing it.
Am I selfish in this matter? ;)
I have some larger saws and he just uses it every now and then for trimming work and some firewood.

So I saw a nice deal on a
1. Dolmar/Makita PS45 2.4hp, 16 inch blade

or should I go for a
2. Husqvarna 136/137 2.2hp, 15 inch blade

I know the 16 inch are optimistic but it's included and so what.

What do you believe would be a better deal in the long run?

Thanks for the info

7sleeper

Low end Dolmar's are usually superior to low end Huskies.

Assuming you have decent Dolmar dealer, go that route.

Forget you ever heard of the Husky 136-137. They are rebadged Poulans. Most reputable Husky dealers around here don't even carry them as they are trash.

I was at one dealer when a gentleman brought a Lowes special in for repair. The owner appologized and told him no way he would repair it. The cost of parts and labor will add up to 60% of the cost of a new saw and you'll think I'm ripping you off. Needless to say the guy was not pleased.

Take Care

Hey Swamp

thanks for the prompt reply! I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Makita/Dolmar but it is their cheapo line so I am not thinking about investing alot for seldom use.
I have a nice medium Solo 3.5hp and a wonderful Stihl 180 for all other serious use.
I am just thinking about using it as a backup and similar.

merry christmas & greetings from Austria

If the PS45 is a big bore PS34, I'd be looking for an outdated but well built 340/341/400/401, or a new and probably not cheap 350/420 instead.

Here in USA, the MS180 is a sub-$200 saw, so I'd consider getting another of those.

Over here, I think the Husky 136 is pretty much the same as my 36.
36 is not a pro saw but I like it for what it is. Not sure if the 136/7 you are talking about is the same thing or further cheapened.

If you are looking for a cheap spare, how much would it cost to get one of these shipped to you, and how would you handle it if they sent you a broken or defective saw?
http://www.amazon.com/Reconditioned-Ryobi-Gas-Powered-Compliant-ZRRY10532/dp/B0013EOTQI/

Hey Swamp

thanks for the prompt reply! I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Makita/Dolmar but it is their cheapo line so I am not thinking about investing alot for seldom use.
I have a nice medium Solo 3.5hp and a wonderful Stihl 180 for all other serious use.
I am just thinking about using it as a backup and similar.

merry christmas & greetings from Austria

Merry Christmas right back at you my friend.

The suggestion of a PS401 above is spot on. Dated design but very well thought of as a lower cost small saw.

Take Care

401 is a pro style saw also the new 420 or even 350 would be something to consider! I have not run the 45 but have the 34 and they are are ok saws nothing great! But still better than the husky mentioned!

Depends. What is he going to use it for? Is there a dealer nearby to service it after the sale.

I have 3 Stihls. My smallest is the MS 170, which is comparable to your father's Mac. It is a 1.7 hp with a 14 inch bar and I use it as much as I can. It is very light compard to the other two that I own. It's my favorite saw. My other two are the MS 270 and the MS 460Mag.

One of my forest/land management friends put me onto the MS 170. He says
he has about a dozen of them for his crew to use.

Around here they sell for $179.

Disclaimer: I am not a Stihl dealer nor do I own stock in Stihl.

Saw

Dolmar 510 if you have a dealer near by. 3.3 HP great little saw. I love mine.

Merry Christmas:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back