What sharpening setup to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quickhorse

Quickhorse

ArboristSite Lurker
Anyone have any links to a sharpening setup that is reputable? Hand jockeying it works for some but there's nothing like throwing an extra chain on there that's been sharpened or is new! :computer:

ozzy42

ozzy42

Addicted to ArboristSite
I used to sit in my living room at night on a pc of cardboard,and hand sharpen my saws everynight.

Now I use a battery powered dremel .You can sharpen with the chain on the saw in a fraction of the time.

Have to be carefull with the stones,they can be a bit brittle at times.

Quickhorse

Quickhorse

ArboristSite Lurker
I run a organ 511a with cyclone wheel makes a razer sharp chain
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=kw145

Nice! . . .

I used to sit in my living room at night on a pc of cardboard,and hand sharpen my saws everynight.

Now I use a battery powered dremel .You can sharpen with the chain on the saw in a fraction of the time.

Have to be carefull with the stones,they can be a bit brittle at times.

Interesting . . . how does that compare to a new chain when cutting? I can tell a big difference between hand sharpened w/file and professionally sharpened (or new).

smokinj

smokinj

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice! . . .

Interesting . . . how does that compare to a new chain when cutting? I can tell a big difference between hand sharpened w/file and professionally sharpened (or new).

the 511 cuts it perfect everytime and the cyclone wheel is a much cooler grind so there is little chanch of losing temper cuts as good as a brand new chain. There are many people that can do it with a hand file but I am not one of them.

ozzy42

ozzy42

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice! . . .

Like any sharpening,depends on your skill level,they cut like new untill about a dozen times,then it's time to knock the guides down a bit.

Slvrmple72

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you sharpen properly you will see no less performance from old chain compared to new out of the box/ off the reel stuff! I have hand sharpened for yrs but now use a dremel with a flexshaft hanging above the workbench. I put an Oregon Suresharp in the chuck and grind away! Best piece of advice I can give apart from keeping all of your angles deadon is this: Use a micrometer/calipers from time to time to determine your master cutter and then grind the rest of the gang to match!

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Nice! . . .

which would you say is better? For just touch up I use Pferd hand guides but for the long chains that have seen it hard I send them out cause I am to lazy.

God of ArboristSite
get a filing jig that attaches to your bar. those are repeatable and does an excellent job.

more importantly.. teaches you the correct angles to hand file.
once you learn correct angles.. it becomes a 3-4 minute job to sharpen your chain.

above comment are for round chain... square grind spoils you quickly. once someone cuts with square.. it's hard to go back

here's a pic of a stihl bar mounted jig. there's many brands of basically the same thing.
stihl also makes a bench mount filing jig.

with a bit of setup (very minor) and using correct sharp file (stihl files)
one can easily sharpen repeatable angles resulting in a SHARP chain.

barmount_filing.gif

Last edited:
Quickhorse

Quickhorse

ArboristSite Lurker
If you sharpen properly you will see no less performance from old chain compared to new out of the box/ off the reel stuff! I have hand sharpened for yrs but now use a dremel with a flexshaft hanging above the workbench. I put an Oregon Suresharp in the chuck and grind away! Best piece of advice I can give apart from keeping all of your angles deadon is this: Use a micrometer/calipers from time to time to determine your master cutter and then grind the rest of the gang to match!

Hey, I'm in Copley/Fairlawn . . . where you at? I am going to try the dremel idea. I need to find the right bit though. I'll check out Home Depot tonight and see what they have . . . I have hand sharpened always also so this will be nice to try. Thanks . . .

God of ArboristSite
once you learn which angles ... matters little how it's done. hand file, grinder, etc.

but until you learn how to consistently produce correct angles.
forget about free handing with a dremel ...

vs someone that knows how to consistently produce correct angles... can free hand with a round file in 3-4 minutes ... a darn sharp chain!

when hand filing... it helps greatly to clamp entire chainsaw by the bar in a large vise. then tighten up chain to take out all the slop. naturally use the correct size file, Stihl makes the best. with plenty of light and jewler's magnifier. you've got to be able to SEE your work.

Hey, I'm in Copley/Fairlawn . . . where you at? I am going to try the dremel idea. I need to find the right bit though. I'll check out Home Depot tonight and see what they have . . . I have hand sharpened always also so this will be nice to try. Thanks . . .

Last edited:
MonkeyMan_812

MonkeyMan_812

ArboristSite Operative
Just get a bench grinder and sharpen all your chains at once and keep a couple in the truck. That way all you have to do is swap chains and your good to go. No sharpening in the feild.

Quickhorse

Quickhorse

ArboristSite Lurker
once you learn which angles ... matters little how it's done. hand file, grinder, etc.

but until you learn how to consistently produce correct angles.
forget about free handing with a dremel ...

vs someone that knows how to consistently produce correct angles... can free hand with a round file in 3-4 minutes ... a darn sharp chain!

when hand filing... it helps greatly to clamp entire chainsaw by the bar in a large vise. then tighten up chain to take out all the slop. naturally use the correct size file, Stihl makes the best. with plenty of light and jewler's magnifier. you've got to be able to SEE your work.

I can hand file correctly w/no problems . . . have been doing that since a young age when out in the field w/my dad. I keep a bucket with extra chains with me also. I am just looking at other options thats all. Loving this site! Good info and input . . . The muffler mod works great on my MS310.

Just get a bench grinder and sharpen all your chains at once and keep a couple in the truck. That way all you have to do is swap chains and your good to go. No sharpening in the feild.

I am leaning towards the bench grinder but am worried everyone in there brother will be dropping off their chains to be sharpened by me! :censored:

God of ArboristSite
if you can already hand file.. and have got a bucket of chains..

no brainer...get a grinder!

I can hand file correctly w/no problems . . . have been doing that since a young age when out in the field w/my dad. I keep a bucket with extra chains with me also. I am just looking at other options thats all. Loving this site! Good info and input . . . The muffler mod works great on my MS310.

I am leaning towards the bench grinder but am worried everyone in there brother will be dropping off their chains to be sharpened by me! :censored:

Latest posts