What should compression on 026 Stihl be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just joined here after seeing this thread. I just took my 046 Magnum out of storage after about five years. Had completely emptied tank and oil chamber. Saw is showing 120 psi cold. Checked spark and good. Noted quite a bit of mix on plug admittedly after several pulls. Put in new plug just to check. Can't get this saw to fire although showing good spark and mix on plug. Even pulled carb and confirmed that vacuum actuated needle assembly is working properly. Am surprised that this is not firing. Out of concern for compression requirement, read this thread which confirms my belief that I have enough cold compression. I did see enough mix on plug to be concerned that the carb is admitting too much fuel. May empty tank and squirt some gas into carb and see if it then fires just to check on possibility of too much mix being introduced which may be killing spark. That seems questionable to me, though, as I have confirmed that vacuum control of diaphragm and needle is working. Can here diaphragm shift when I suck on hose hooked to vacuum connection. Needle is showing closed tight as I can't blow through it when vacuum is not applied. Any ideas on what I check next?

OK, here goes. First, forget about 1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever the number of pulls are. Pull the starter until the guage no longer climbs. This is particularly important if you're using a large guage and hose really made for automotive uses. It simply takes a while to fill the guage and hose up to pressure.

Reading are for cold. Why? If diagnosing a dead engine you CAN'T warm it up. A warm saw shouldn't be more then 5% different either way.

New saw, not yet broken in should have between 115 and 125 psi. One broken in should read 125 to 130 psi. Also, reading will be about 5 psi lower for every 1000' elevation above sea level.
Impeccable answer.Logic prevails.

Well now you did it.I dug out my old 026 Pro,sharpened the chain,and noodled some 20 inch white oak.Does not make the power of the 372 clone I am breaking in, but it runs pretty sweet.Last time I checked compression on the 026 it was around 130 also.

Back