What size bar on 346XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerran

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm purchasing a 346XP tomorrow or early next week and wondering what size bar I should buy with it?

16 Inch Bar or 18 Inch bar?

This is going to be a backup and limbing saw companion to my 372XPW which is my primary woodcutting saw.

372XPW has a 24 inch bar on it currently.

Any recommendations with some reasoning is appreciated.

Looking at purchasing the saw online. I just can't see paying $150 more for the same saw + accessories just to buy local especially when I'm planning on buying a new muffler with the saw as well.

Our local shop (Kootenai Lawn and Garden) is pretty good but their prices are pretty high and he doesn't have the 346XP in stock last I checked.

Cerran, check to be sure you can still order the saw online next week. Today is the last day at Bailey's to order. Bailey's is out of stock on the 346XP but as long as your order is entered into their system today you will be ok.

Obviously there's more than one thing to look at when choosing bar length. If you want it for more than small limbing you may want the 18" to better reach through the bigger stuff. If it's dedicated to limbing, the 16" would likely be a better choice. It would be more nimble for sure:ices_rofl: Really I was just curious what it would pull in your opinion:jester:

Cerran, check to be sure you can still order the saw online next week. Today is the last day at Bailey's to order. Bailey's is out of stock on the 346XP but as long as your order is entered into their system today you will be ok.

Good to know. I'll make sure I get my order in at least for the powerhead by the end of today.

I think I'll go with the 18" bar. I can just see on occasion using the 346XP for fell smaller standing dead trees uphill because it's lighter to lug up the hill. It's not going to be only a limbing saw but that will be its primary purpose.

Obviously there's more than one thing to look at when choosing bar length. If you want it for more than small limbing you may want the 18" to better reach through the bigger stuff. If it's dedicated to limbing, the 16" would likely be a better choice. It would be more nimble for sure:ices_rofl: Really I was just curious what it would pull in your opinion:jester:

I am sure it will do pretty well with a 20" as well, at least with .325x7 - but it all really depends on the users expectations...... :)

For me, 16" is max, as I have other saws for the cuts that are much larger, and I don't need "reach" - I rather bend my back a bit, or step closer.

My back is really bad, so I support the left elbo on the left knee or thigh, when needed - no problems.

Last edited:
Back