What size skid steer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we use a takeuchi tl140 like the one that was pictured a few posts back. its a nice machine. definitely take a look at one if you have the oppurtunity.

The tracked machine is only as good as the operator. If you put a knucklehead in it, then expect lawn damage or thrown tracks in rocky/stumpy areas. Put an experianced operator at the sticks and they can do figures 8s across the yard without a broken blade grass.

Regardless of what brand you get, make sure its a high flow machine. then you can rent the fun attachments like a brush hog and mowers. makes land clearing a bit easier if thats something you think you'd want to get into.

Yeah we have the 10,000 lb limit here in Cali too...I still haul around my 303C CR with a 3500lb trailer! Screw em!! I just say its for my personal use!!

I don't think you'd notice much difference on slopes, maybe though since the A220 is wider...

You can get away with it for personal use? In Canada matters not.. if personal or not.. still need same licensing. Our license terms are a little different.. but none the less still limited to 10,000 lbs without going up to next class (which is actually the highest truck class we have).

Only exception for personal use is if it is an RV trailer or boat.

Only other exception is if a farm vehicle (licensed farm use) and towing farm equipment. If not licensed for farm, can not tow farm equipment and get away with it if they want to be sticky about it.

You can get away with it for personal use? In Canada matters not.. if personal or not.. still need same licensing. Our license terms are a little different.. but none the less still limited to 10,000 lbs without going up to next class (which is actually the highest truck class we have).

Only exception for personal use is if it is an RV trailer or boat.

Only other exception is if a farm vehicle (licensed farm use) and towing farm equipment. If not licensed for farm, can not tow farm equipment and get away with it if they want to be sticky about it.

Well personal use is RV's, toyhaulers, etc... and they can go to 15,000lb I believe. So as far as I'm concerned my excavator is used for no pay, and on my own property, just like an ATV would be. Not worth it to get a commercial license imo.

I like the case units. We use a XT75 only has bucket and forks, but will have grapple when we have time to build it. It's wheeled but we have tracks for over the wheels.

You should be able to to a 303CR on a proper trailer and still be under 10K. I could not imagine towing my Hitachi that is similar to the 303CR on a 3500lb trailer, must be an overbuilt 3500lb trailer.

You should be able to to a 303CR on a proper trailer and still be under 10K. I could not imagine towing my Hitachi that is similar to the 303CR on a 3500lb trailer, must be an overbuilt 3500lb trailer.

The trailer weighs 3,500 or so, its rated for 10,000. Its also a tilt bed. I'm sure I could get a lighter trailer, but I already have this one and its perfect for the LS170 and works (not ideal) for the 303. But lately, with the trucks transmission going out, I've just been having a 10-wheeler haul it with a full size trailer.

I am lucky and a few guys that i do alot of work with that own skid steers that a borrow all the time. My favorite is the cat 257b great sized machine picks a good amount and you can see all around when in tight areas. I have also used bobcat 7 series and both track and wheeled 300. In my opinion that is to big of a machine unless you have alot of room to operate espeacially the wide tracks, and you better not let some rookie use it.

Tracks are much better for plowing and on the grass. Going straight or gradual turns does not hurt the lawn and your time periods of working due to wet conditions is extended becuase they float so much more.

Its all personal preferance if you are just moving logs you may be in that thing for an hour or two the whole job. A good operater can do alot of damage in that time. If you do more construction type work and are going to be in it 8-10 hours a day thats a different story. If you are going to plow snow with it you most definetly want the joystick type controls so much faster for plowing.

I rent two for the winter and one was the old style one tracked one wheeled and that old style added alot of time to the route. Needless to say we took it back and rented another joystick type.

i have a 743 bobcat i picked up for 6000 in real good shape and bought a grapple bucket that works great for me for a grand brand new its light weight and still handles decent weight

Kubota SLV models 75 and 90

Great info. I was under the impression that tracks tear up grass more. I can see the pressure foot print being easier on the landscape, but not for turns...

To be more specific, I'm looking to spend as close to 10K as possible, preferably less. I didn't even know Kubota was making their own skid, great to know, but no doubt too pricey at this point in time..

Three months ago I met a chap from Denton, TX who has been a Kubota parts man for year's. I was almost yearning to buy one of their machines for my tree service. Being we were staying with family in Dallas and sharing Thanksgiving meals we talked several sessions. Murray did not try to talk me out of a purchase but he,pointed out the pros and cons of having equipment of that kind. About two weeks after the visit I gave up the idea. However, every time I see a skid steer working it means a lot more to me. If I need one for a job I will hire a friend who has a Cat tracked machine.

I used to have a New Holland that was rated at 1200lbs that machine always kept me frustrated, it just couldnt handle any decent sized logs without wanting to fall on its nose. I recently bought a John Deere 332 , its the smoothest skidsteer that I have ever run, it also has enough lifting capacity to do anything I want. I got a grapple and so far I am not impressed , I kinda like the forks for moving logs around and loading them, until I get to some shortys that I have to get off my butt and scoot the forks together. I would recommend getting the biggest skid you can afford that way ya dont over abuse a little guy.

I am lucky and a few guys that i do alot of work with that own skid steers that a borrow all the time. My favorite is the cat 257b great sized machine picks a good amount and you can see all around when in tight areas. I have also used bobcat 7 series and both track and wheeled 300. In my opinion that is to big of a machine unless you have alot of room to operate espeacially the wide tracks, and you better not let some rookie use it.

Tracks are much better for plowing and on the grass. Going straight or gradual turns does not hurt the lawn and your time periods of working due to wet conditions is extended becuase they float so much more.

The huge downside to the 257 is that they have they same undercarriage as the 247 but the 257 is a heavier machine so they tear up the undercarriage components quickly! A few guys around have them and are always wrenching on them.

Depends on the snow you're plowing, out here tracks suck! Tires with chains will walk all over a tracked machine moving snow.

Latest posts

Back