What size skidding winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scavenged a double winch off an old tow truck.
Two hours of fab work and it works great on my old Case tractor.
Why spend so much on so little?

I bought the Wallenstein FX65 this past Friday. I have a 34 hp Kubota to run it with. I got to use it with my dad this weekend. It really yanked my tractor around, even when I had the blade up against a stump. I have pictures that I wanted to upload, but they exceeded the size limit.

Last edited:
Tulsa, OK must be the used winch capital of the world

loads of winch mfg local to support oil field equipment.
good used hydraulic winches show up all the time on craigslist for dirt cheap.

not unusual for find large oil field hydraulic winches for under $1,000... sometimes under $500.

here's a 20k lb Braden winch for $200 in Coffeyville, KS, from Tulsa craigslist

-----------

Braden winch - $200 (Coffeyville)
Date: 2010-01-25, 4:25PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

20,000 lb plus Braden winch for sale. $200.00 or will trade for smaller winch or something of equal value. Pictures available upon request. Phone Buddy at 918-698-7258

Just got home from the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville, KY. Looked at Wallenstein and Fransgard. Think I favor the Wallenstein over the Fransgard, heavier cable I believe on the FX65 vs the V3507 even though the FX65 has a lower rating. The cable running through the lower pulley on the FX65 concerns me a little. When winching uphill, with the cable through the lower pulley, would it cause the log to "dig" in? May not be a valid concern, just curious. Still torn between the Farmi and Wallenstein.

I have pulled alot of trees out of my gully without issue which is about 150' deep. It is recommended that you use the bottom pully and I have, but you can pull from the top pully. I have been leaving the pully in the third position from the top (top pin on pully in third hole from top on frame). Today I was pulling some ash trees that had fallen down in the gully. These trees where solidly frozen to the ground and it was in a steep part of the gully that I couldnt get the tractor backed up right to the top so the cable was running on the ground going over the top of the ravine. I have found that if a log starts to get stuck I let off on the line allowing the log to start to slide back then immediatly reapply pressure and this seems to help get the logs moving.

Last edited:
Thanks TS, was hoping you would see this. TS you mention letting up and the log starting to slide back, does the drum on the Wallenstein not lock when you stop mid pull? The lower pulley on the FX 65 is not ajustable.

The drum on the Wallenstein free wheels when not pulling unless you engage the brake, which is a seperate rope to pull. It is handy while skidding if you have hills to climb or difficult terrain such as mud to drop the load, drive up or through the hill/mud then winch back to the tractor. I have used this technique many times while pulling heavy hitches sometimes the tractor would spin on the snow/ice while climbing inclines, I just drop it, drive to the top and reel it in.

The drum on the Wallenstein free wheels when not pulling unless you engage the brake,

Are the other winches like that or just the Wallenstein? I was under the impression it worked like a ratchet. If you stopped mid pulla piece catches a "dog ear" to keep it from moving or unspooling. Also Wallenstein has a special goin on untill I think till the end of of March, you get 3 chokers with the purchase. Territory rep also said he would knock off $300 for buying at the show, and also get to an area tractor dealer 8 miles from home. (FX65) Also I asked about the horsepower ratings, reps for both winches says it is tractor horsepower, not pto. I was suprised.

Last edited:
The drum on the Wallenstein free wheels when not pulling unless you engage the brake,

Are the other winches like that or just the Wallenstein? I was under the impression it worked like a ratchet. If you stopped mid pulla piece catches a "dog ear" to keep it from moving or unspooling. Also Wallenstein has a special goin on untill I think till the end of of March, you get 3 chokers with the purchase. Territory rep also said he would knock off $300 for buying at the show, and also get to an area tractor dealer 8 miles from home. (FX65)

I GOT MINE FROM A PLACE ON EBAY CALLED 24/7 TRACTOR SUPPLY or something like that. THEY ARE IN IOWA.. they sell both kinds of winches in different sizes. shipping was really cheap and they came way down on their price and threw in chokers as well. also should look into getting a self releasing snatch block....good luck

Are the other winches like that or just the Wallenstein? I was under the impression it worked like a ratchet. If you stopped mid pulla piece catches a "dog ear" to keep it from moving or unspooling. Also Wallenstein has a special goin on untill I think till the end of of March, you get 3 chokers with the purchase. Territory rep also said he would knock off $300 for buying at the show, and also get to an area tractor dealer 8 miles from home. (FX65) Also I asked about the horsepower ratings, reps for both winches says it is tractor horsepower, not pto. I was suprised.

I think most winches release when you let go of the clutch rope, it may be a safety feature for if something crazy happens while pulling. I think you can get at least $300 off, I got a "show special" price at a farm show and ended up getting it a little cheaper at my dealer and got 5 chokers thrown in (the chokers are $70 each retail). The winch line has a hook and 3 keyhole sliders so I would try to get at least 4 chokers that way you have enough for a full pull on the line.

i run a fransgard v-6000 on a new holland tn-60a. its a good fit. i had this same winch on a kubota MX-5000 before the new holland. the mx wasnt heavy enough. it wouldn't sit still when winching. you could back up to a stump or whatever if you were winching something big but that was a kind of a pain in ass. the tn-60 sits still and will pull out BIG stuff without balking at it. i saw a TT75 the other day. its a good looking tractor. if you're getting it spend $200-300 more for the extendable lower links. i cant imagine doing without them now. a 501 would do very well on that tractor. the one i saw was impressive - it just looked stout. if youre fairly certain that you're going to get this tractor or another one of similar size go ahead and get the 501. it will work fine on your current tractor. it will take up more of your lift capacity skidding but not THAT much. i honestly cant see how someone can flip a tractor winching. yes, ive winched at almost 90 degrees and cocked the opposite wheel 2' before. these winches dont flip a tractor instantly, they have a clutch that you can engage slowly. just pay attention. if your tire gets that high and the tree isnt moving the reposition or use a block - not such a big deal. good luck on both purchases.

Winches at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville

Like billdiesel, I too was at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville last week and saw the Franstad and Wallenstein winches. In addition, I saw 2 other brands, the name of one of them was Uniforest and the other name escapes me (it was one I had not heard of before). To me, it appeared that the Uniforest winch was the most "heavy duty" of the 4 at the show. I see the Uniforest is made in Slovenia (former Yugoslavia). I have looked on-line for the Uniforest winches and see the primary place to purchase them in the U.S. is Hudson out of New York. Does anyone have experience with the Uniforest brand? I see Uniforest offers a self-contained hydraulic driven push button control option that looks very user friendly.

Thanks

Like billdiesel, I too was at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville last week and saw the Franstad and Wallenstein winches. In addition, I saw 2 other brands, the name of one of them was Uniforest and the other name escapes me (it was one I had not heard of before). To me, it appeared that the Uniforest winch was the most "heavy duty" of the 4 at the show. I see the Uniforest is made in Slovenia (former Yugoslavia). I have looked on-line for the Uniforest winches and see the primary place to purchase them in the U.S. is Hudson out of New York. Does anyone have experience with the Uniforest brand? I see Uniforest offers a self-contained hydraulic driven push button control option that looks very user friendly.

Thanks

I remember why I went with the farmi 501 winch instead of the smaller 351winch. it was the clutch thickness. actually I got a price for it from hudson and they were $1,000.00 more than the place in Iowa. I think the 3 pt system will break way before any of the winches do. most are built well. good luck with the winch you choose. please give us a review after you use it for awwhile

Latest posts

Back