What size truck do i need to handle the weight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a huge amount of wood for free. The catch is Its a ways from my house and I would need to pick it all up in one shot. Its two very old large oak trees. I was wondering how much weight Im talking about.
I was looking into renting a 26ft u haul that has a max load of 7400 pounds. How many cords of green oak can I fit in there safely?

It s going to cost me to rent the truck but if i can get enough wood it will make it worth it.

I think we need more info on what a huge amount is!?.. I decent truck and trailer will haull lots..

Last edited:
you'd better look for a different truck... 7400lbs is not even two cords of oak.

you need to find someone with a cummins truck + trailer w/14k lbs axles...
craigslist is a good way to find someone local to do a run

I have the opportunity to get a huge amount of wood for free. The catch is Its a ways from my house and I would need to pick it all up in one shot. Its two very old large oak trees. I was wondering how much weight Im talking about.
I was looking into renting a 26ft u haul that has a max load of 7400 pounds. How many cords of green oak can I fit in there safely?

It s going to cost me to rent the truck but if i can get enough wood it will make it worth it.

I dont know how much, the trees arnt cut down yet and im not a good judge. OK maybe huge was the wrong word to use but its alot of wood to me. Two big oaks Im trying to find a picture...

you'd better look for a different truck... 7400lbs is not even two cords of oak.

you need to find someone with a cummins truck + trailer w/14k lbs axles...
craigslist is a good way to find someone local to do a run

if its not even two cords its not worth the $$$

weight

if it is two cord white oak green it will weight about 11,000 pounds i am thinking that there is closer to three than two, based on my experiance of cut and split fire wood.

I Put almost 1 whole oak tree, about 80' tall with not much of a top, the Main trunk was about 40' long and 20" most of the way, it fit on my 16x6 flat dual axle trailer, it weighted it down allot, actually alot more than my Massey Ferguson 230 tractor with the bush hog. I only had to go about 10 miles but it was Heavy ( Oh, I have a Supercharged 2500 silverado, hence the BlownCreCab Name) I wasn't worried about pulling it, I was worried the wheels on the trailer where going to give up the farm...

From experience I'm guessing there's A LOT more wood there than you even know. Take your highest guess at the amount of truckloads it will be and double it. Then decide if that many trips is worth your time. Trees ALWAYS look bigger on the ground.

Git R Done

Find a fellow at your local watering hole who owns a Cummins. Buy him a few drinks and it will be home in short order. Wish I was closer to ya.

Nathan

what kind of distance are we talking? at $4 a gallon... that would be a very major factor

Looks like 3 cord to me as well. So I would say you would need a F550 or C5500 and a 14K dump trailer. (May require CDL in some states) You might be able to get away with a Uhaul that is just under CDL limits.

No problem

Find a trailer or rent one and put it behind a Cummins stuck in a 3/4 ton plus dodge. I have pulled 19k+ time and time again with several dodges no problem. Make sure the trailer has brakes in working order.

Nathan

its far over 300 miles and looking like its not worth it even for the free wood.
But I was heading there to visit anyway

Possible CDL

CDL laws are the same in all 50 states. A straight truck with over 26,000 pounds gvwr or loaded to over 26,000 pounds requires a class B CDL. A combination over 26,000 pounds that has a trailer over 10,000 pounds requires a class A CDL. If anyone has any other questions about commercial MVs, CDLs, DOT, or FMCSA issues I'll watch this thread for a while.

not worth it!!!

get all the free wood you want close ... it's simple, keep a watch on craigslist. they pop up all the time, some already split.

sometime folks are nuts... offering standing trees, they want taken down for free :chainsaw:

its far over 300 miles and looking like its not worth it even for the free wood.
But I was heading there to visit anyway

Latest posts

Back