What tempature do you switch to winter chain bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacpa17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Shopped around at my local dealers and no carries winter bar oil where I live in downstate NY. Surprised as for a cold winter morning my bar oil was pretty thick when I went to fill the saw.

Shopped around at my local dealers and no carries winter bar oil where I live in downstate NY. Surprised as for a cold winter morning my bar oil was pretty thick when I went to fill the saw.
Usually not an issue but I've added a little kerosene to thin when really cold.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

If you have a Rural King store near you they carry a winter bar Oil for $6.99 a gal. As for temp, probably anything below 32, however, that opinion will go along with what mix ratio fuel! lol

I just use normal bar oil and put a cup or three of diesel in the jug. Works fine to -30*.. at least seems to. The jug stays outside and it pours out still anyhow. (about as cold as it usually gets here.) I run it year round, helps the anemic oilers on the newer saws.

I left a jug of 5w40 oil out last year, had to set it on the woodstove so I could pour it in the truck. Would think 5w would be ok at -30*, but it was pretty much froze solid! :surprised3:

Wonder how it can still flow in a truck?

Welcome to AS Stac.
I don't worry about the outside temp as much as the oil temp and the saw temp.
If you bring the oil inside at night it takes a long time to cool back down to where it won't flow well.
Once the saw is up to temp and you have to refuel fill the bar oil first then fuel and freshen chain if needed and the oil will have a bit of time to warm up too.

I left a jug of 5w40 oil out last year, had to set it on the woodstove so I could pour it in the truck. Would think 5w would be ok at -30*, but it was pretty much froze solid! :surprised3:

I guess it stands to reason it's doesn't flow from the oil pan until it warms up unless you are plugged in.
Run a semi synthetic in the winter.
or run two tanks, one with mix oil until it warms...lol.

Surprised as for a cold winter morning my bar oil was pretty thick when I went to fill the saw.
Almost every day in the Interior, winter oil is "pretty thick" to very thick. I use winter oil but do what "Chipper 1" said. I keep a case in my camp room or hotel for the cold snaps and keep it in the cab on the way then fill the split jugs.
Just use the same mentally on the coast for summer oil if needed. You can work with "pretty thick" Having to light a fire to get it out of the jug or waiting forever and a day to fill a
tank is too cold.

When I cut in the winter I put my saws and bar oil jug on the floor in my electric sauna for the night if I am home. It will still be above freezing in there come morning.

That house brand oil from Walmart is pretty thin and flows fine down to as cold as any temp I will cut in. The tractor supply stuff is pretty thick below 20 degrees so I will often use cheap (new) motor oil or spring for winter weight oil if it is going to be really cold and I do not have a place to keep it warm.

When it is below -10f the saws become real uncooperative if left out. Especially the vintage stuff.

It doesn't....... until the oil has " melted " back to liquid. You can run your car engine surprisingly long after draining all engine oil. Same thing goes with frozen oil in cold weather. Oil leftovers will lube the parts, but it will cause wear on the engine.

Good video, I should have reworded my question to when do you use low temperature chain bar oil? Went to the shed on a cold morning to use the saw and add chain bar oil. It was so thick I brought it inside to thin and cut the next day. Stopped by the garden center to pick up low temp oil but no one carries it. Thought that odd.

One thing to remember is the colder it is the less heat there will be on the bar so in theory even if the flows slower it should be okay unless it doesn't flow at all.

Back