What temperature does your wood stove run at to heat your home?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Tempwood usually runs between 450 and 550 degrees. I can get it hotter by just opening the disc's on top of the stove that cover the downdraft tubes, but usually this is the temp the stove! runs at. This is burning mostly oak. Burning locust I can get more heat too! At night temp goes down, but after awhile comes back up, then goes back down as the wood is burned off! Come down stairs to add more wood usually about 3:00 AM! All and all works out good! Enough to heat this funny shaped old 200 year old Pullman house!

Something less than 900°.
At 900° steel and iron will begin to glow a dull red... if'n I see that I crank 'er back a tick or two :rock:
Most stove paints will begin to discolor at 750° or so... at 800-850° most black stove paint will turn white or light gray... at 1000° the paint will normally burn clean off to bare metal.

Who needs a stove thermometer??

Something less than 900°.
At 900° steel and iron will begin to glow a dull red... if'n I see that I crank 'er back a tick or two :rock:
Most stove paints will begin to discolor at 750° or so... at 800-850° most black stove paint will turn white or light gray... at 1000° the paint will normally burn clean off to bare metal.

Who needs a stove thermometer??
Didn't use one for years, but when I bought this recent big Tempwood about ten years ago it came with it! Actually find it comes in handy!

I watch my stack temp from my probe therm the most. I've seen my stove top at 700 many times when mines going through it's heavy secondary burn. I've also had it at 800 once or twice and my stove is just as black and clean as it was 15 cord of wood earlier. Either my stove top therm is inaccurate or I have really good paint on my Quad 5700

Anywhere from 600 - 750 F on the stove-top of my little Morso. With a thermo-electric "eco-fan" moving some of it along.

Rarely does the flue temp, about a foot from the stove-top, exceed 300 F, mostly about 250 F, per magnetic thermometer.

Last edited:
I took some thermal images of my stove last night when it was -12*F out so I had'er crankin good. I maxed out the thermal camera at 680*F. Had a 500*F flue temperature after loading it for the night and before I throttled down the flue dampener which promptly brough it down another hundred. Before all said and done I walked away with 300*F flue and 650*F stove temp... One things for sure, it was COLD out last night and my stove is a pig.

Before adding wood.

IR_0657.jpg

IR_0656.jpg

With door open. Camera maxes out at 680*F

IR_0667.jpg

Then shortly after adding wood.

IR_0668.jpg

Check the flue.

IR_0669.jpg

Now with the fire rippin, check next to my flue dampener.

IR_0681.jpg

Top of my flue where it goes into my chimney.

IR_0677.jpg

Obviously I dont run it full open like that but I was interested in how much heat goes out the flue. Once I throttled down on my dampener the flue cooled off to 300-400*F. Wish I had a magic heat to take some of that heat out, a box fan next to that top elbow is all I have.

We normally see 850-900° on the stick on pipe thermometer at peak burn and the inside of the stove glows anywhere from a red to almost yellow and the firebricks glow.
This is when it is below zero or colder.HAHA The firebox will hit 1600° on a regular basis in the deep cold.

Latest posts

Back