What tires should I use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, try not to laugh too hard but right now I am hauling with a 1957 GMC dump and I need tires. If I had to guess it would be in the ton1/2 to 2 ton range. I currently have 9.00-20's but I am more than willing to make some changes. Should I go to radials? What size does that end up being in a radial? What are your favorite online retailers? Thanks in advance, as you can see I need all the help I can get. :D

A radial will just have a R in the 9.00R 20...Wheels are going to be the biggest issue...If the wheels on the truck are suicide wheels, good luck getting someone to change them...If you change over to a tubeless wheel and tire you will have more options on tires, but it goes right back to the wheel...What is the bolt pattern, number of bolts/holes in the wheel?

I don't know about your area, but there's prolly 4-5 shops around here that still do the split rims. Most shops just won't re-use the ring is all. You can still get radial tube type tires as far as i know, but a tire shop could tell you better what you nead. good luck.

I don't know about your area, but there's prolly 4-5 shops around here that still do the split rims. Most shops just won't re-use the ring is all. You can still get radial tube type tires as far as i know, but a tire shop could tell you better what you nead. good luck.

A split rim/lock ring is different than a suicide wheel...A split rim has a 1 or 2 peice ring the lock the bead...A suicide wheel locks in the center of the wheel w/ just a lip...

Wow 1957. If the rims are original that would be the limiting factor to tires. As stated I would upgrade to tubeless rims and radials.If thats even possible. Im not really familiar with the setup on there. If you do have ube type tires Ill bet you would have to go to a bigtruck tire shop. I cant see a walmart or comparable tire changer even know what to do with a tube tire.:clap:

A split rim/lock ring is different than a suicide wheel...A split rim has a 1 or 2 peice ring the lock the bead...A suicide wheel locks in the center of the wheel w/ just a lip...

Your talking about the old old school style rim. I must be dyslexic, for some reason i thought the truck was a '75, not a '57. If it was a '75 it should have had the split rim, witch alot of people call those suicide rims too.

Well the truck is not quite stock. The rear wheels are safety rims on standard 5 star hubs so I am not too limited there.

The truck itself is pretty neat. A good double hump 327 bolted to a five speed ranny with a 2 speed rear end. I will try to get some pics up soon

Back