What to do ? Discontinued cylinder, vintage Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeekinz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been around 2 stroke bikes for 30 years, so Im familliar with plating and who to go to, etc.

My 452VL ran ok but was a bit low on compression. I did a top end, crank seals, etc and still little compression. (Not measured but pulling the cord there's zero feedback, runs though) Cylinder is obviously worn. No scoring or anything obvious. What do you vintage guys do in this situation? A replate at Millennium Technologies (if they'd even do it) is up to $320 now and you never know what you get used off Ebay.

20220330_125138.jpg

I think you might find that almost no company wil plate a blind cylinder anymore. US chrome used to but I believe they stopped awhile ago.

When you say new top end, did you put a piston and rings in it ? Reason I am asking is the plating unless it peels off in places doesn't usually wear out.

Top end, yes, piston, rings, wrist pin/bearing. As I ssid, the cylinder surface was not visibly damaged/peeling/scored or anything. So I thought the new piston would be fine.
I just saw US Chrome only takes in dealer work, Id rather not have a middle man.
I might just pick up some used cylinders and hope for the best. Been waiting for a NOS one on Ebay but nothing yet. Ive had this thing since the mid 90's, put alot of work into it to keep it going.

Top end, yes, piston, rings, wrist pin/bearing. As I ssid, the cylinder surface was not visibly damaged/peeling/scored or anything. So I thought the new piston would be fine.
I just saw US Chrome only takes in dealer work, Id rather not have a middle man.
I might just pick up some used cylinders and hope for the best. Been waiting for a NOS one on Ebay but nothing yet. Ive had this thing since the mid 90's, put alot of work into it to keep it going.

Well, if it is not visibly damaged I would suspect it more likely that your piston is off.

Who does it?
Powerseal usa, Us chrome, Kustom-kraft. We used powerseal at the machine shop, save we would install the sleve ourselves
Port match and chamfer then send it to them for plating.
Never personally used us chrome, I've heard good things.
An acquaintance that does motorcycle hill climbs uses kustom-kraft and speaks very highly of them.
I'm sure there are other that I don't know about. It's not a new concept by any means, and certainly hasn't fallen out of style.

Powerseal usa, Us chrome, Kustom-kraft. We used powerseal at the machine shop, save we would install the sleve ourselves
Port match and chamfer then send it to them for plating.
Never personally used us chrome, I've heard good things.
An acquaintance that does motorcycle hill climbs uses kustom-kraft and speaks very highly of them.
I'm sure there are other that I don't know about. It's not a new concept by any means, and certainly hasn't fallen out of style.
US chrome will no longer do a blind cylinder. Whatever machine shop it is that you work for you might want to ask them in the morning who is doing their blind cylinders. It would be great to know.

Bill, go do you're own research. Of the 3 companies I listed we only used one of them. Which I plainly stated. Also plainly stated I've never used us chrome. Go get on Google or pick your phone up. The info is there.
Well you see, I always thought this great site was about helping folks out................at least it has been it the 21 years I have been here.

Your mileage may vary.......

Pull it down n scuff up that cylinder good.

Another option is measure up that ring find something that will work from a slightly bigger bore and set your own end gap.

The only place it can be leaking air is through that end gap and bad ring seal if no scoring

Delete the base gasket too for a little more or even make a thin 1 and use sealer

Good little saws I have a 500VL.

I've been around 2 stroke bikes for 30 years, so Im familliar with plating and who to go to, etc.

My 452VL ran ok but was a bit low on compression. I did a top end, crank seals, etc and still little compression. (Not measured but pulling the cord there's zero feedback, runs though) Cylinder is obviously worn. No scoring or anything obvious. What do you vintage guys do in this situation? A replate at Millennium Technologies (if they'd even do it) is up to $320 now and you never know what you get used off Ebay.

View attachment 1120194
Check with the Chickanic girl on YouTube. She has tons of NOS parts. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Well you see, I always thought this great site was about helping folks out................at least it has been it the 21 years I have been here.

Your mileage may vary.......
There's a difference between asking for help and being lazy.
For what it worth, I did ask robby who they send closed cylinder to for plating. He said millennium tech will do whatever you'd like, but it's considered their custom work and pretty expensive.

There's a difference between asking for help and being lazy.
For what it worth, I did ask robby who they send closed cylinder to for plating. He said millennium tech will do whatever you'd like, but it's considered their custom work and pretty expensive.
That is odd, I just got the phone with a nice gentleman at Millenium. I asked him is they could do a blind cylinder and he said NO!. I told him I had been told that they could, he said "Sir I do not know who told you that but we have never done them"

Have you checked squish?

Latest posts

Back