What to do w/ this 038 Super?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedShift42

Some guy
Reaction score
Homer, AK-- Former home of the bark beetle
A neighbor made me a deal on his 038 AV Super EQ this week. When he went to use it he discovered it's seized-- local shop breaks it free and quotes $$ to repair it. Not worth it, he figures and offers it to me. He insists it wasn't straight-gassed (Everyone says that, right?), but the striations visible on the p&c say something unhappy went on in there. The lines aren't galled, nothing you could hook your fingernail on, but shiny.

Anyway, it's a pretty clean saw so I was happy to take if off his hands, if for nothing other than parting out. Then tonight, out of curiosity I check the compression-- 150psi!

Now I'm not sure what to think; could this thing be salvageable w/ the existing p&c, or is good compression misleading and the top-end still fubar?
I don't have the desire to keep the saw (still holding out for a 361), but trying to figure out how to proceed-- part-out, sell as-is, or could there be an economical repair?

-Eric.

Like gmax says, Id pull the cylinder and at least put rings in it. I did that with an 034. My Stihl dealer thought I was crazy but its still running today.;)

I'd just clean the cyl, piston and put in new fuel line then see how it runs. But a vac / pressure test to verify good seal would be smart...

If it stihl has compression, was locked up, and has scoring on the cylinder, one or more of the crank bearings probably let go. I would rebuild it, use it, and cherish the gift from your friend.

Back