What to do with all fhis cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayabs

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A recent snow uprooted and broke numerous cedar trees on my property. Not sure of the exact species but its a southern red of some type and other than kindling of little value as firewood. Some of it was or still is blocking my firewood cutting trails though, so I've been either cutting it into lengths that can be loaded or dragging it out.
Any ideas on possible uses? If nothing else I can always burn it in the OWB.

A recent snow uprooted and broke numerous cedar trees on my property. Not sure of the exact species but its a southern red of some type and other than kindling of little value as firewood. Some of it was or still is blocking my firewood cutting trails though, so I've been either cutting it into lengths that can be loaded or dragging it out.
Any ideas on possible uses? If nothing else I can always burn it in the OWB.

Depending on what size trees they are, you could have some of it milled up? Cedar makes pretty nice boards, they hold up very well out in the weather.

I had one fall in my yard. Made a large table and some benches for outdoor eating area. Just rough cut them with my saw because I don't have a mill. Not perfect but they should last a good long time.

+1 on fenceposts or slabbed into planks

you could also chunk up the sections without knots and stockpile em' for making kindling...off the ground and under cover they'll last a long time.

I burn the stuff...nothing better to start a cold stove than dry cedar...except maybe AVGAS! This season I'm burning a mix of hackberry/pear and cedar...seems to be working.

We burn it, kindling and firewood. We mill it and make fence posts too. Good stuff. Lasts a long time in the ground. Heck, it lasts a long time out of the ground.

Either what flashhole said or cut them at 8 ft and sell them for fence posts I use them all the time.:msp_thumbup:

I'll take them, cut the branches off and deliver them and stack them neatly please. If they are coat rack size leave 12" of branch on them. Oh debark them before you bring them.

Well we can't let craigslist have all the fun.

John

Way where ya at? Eastern Red Cedar most likely....great stuff, I just built a house out of it. Post up some pic's & measure the diameter of the small ends of 8' logs.

an old timer told me once that a cedar fence post will out last two sets of holes:biggrin:

And one Black Locust fence post will outlast 3 cedar ones in six different holes :D

Seriously; make some outdoor furniture, stools, benches, or even lay them down and put firewood on them..etc, etc [like everyone else said].
I use them to make bird feeder posts for friends and they look really neat.

I'll take them, cut the branches off and deliver them and stack them neatly please. If they are coat rack size leave 12" of branch on them. Oh debark them before you bring them.

Well we can't let craigslist have all the fun.

John
LOL,you're good.
Actually the coat rack thing might work for some of the broken off tops.

I used them to build an ornamental split rail cedar fence and an arbor in my front yard. Didnt have much in the way of tools then and split the posts in half old school style with a saw, axe, maul and wedges. It was surprisingly easy to split the planks...the hard part was digging the post holes here in the rocky Ozark hills :msp_biggrin:

Have had numerous complements on them due to the rustic look combined with climbing roses...just an idea

Back