What to do with these pines? Raleigh, NC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Quick question..I have 20-25 60' pines I'm removing for more parking at our church. I have no problem dropping these sticks(pretty experienced homeowner with a mod 250), but is there a market for these trees once they are down?

I would think a mill could use the good softwoods for something? I called a few and they said they usually work with a minimum of 3-4 acres. What do most of the pros do when you drop that many nice pines?

I just want them off the property so would a mill make an effort with this small load for free lumber??

I have included a pic of the property. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

:cheers:If there are any large lumber companies or tree compaies in your area, they may be interested in coming in and grabbing the wood. They'll want to stop and pick it up, no fuss and no working it other than picking it up. Keep it in an open area so they have good access. Other than that, chip it and sell/use the chips on site.

I would check with your state forester. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction. Here in Northern Ohio, not many people that I know are looking for the soft wood, being surrounded by hardwoods. Maybe you can sell them for pulp? Just a thought.

I'd check around a bit if I was you, although I am not sure what the market is like for Pine around there but it's worth looking in to.

where in nc are you?

around raleigh they would just be pulp; $26/ton

pretty skinny looking

call american wood yard on hillsboro st.

Last edited:
Add in paper reading: Cabin logs under category building materials.

Count the number and note diameters at breast height(DBH). Never know you might get a hit.

Last edited:
Add in paper reading: Cabin logs under category building materials.
Great idea. craigslist proves P.T. Barnum's thesis--there's a sucker born every minute!

hey--you could get em milled on site and build something with em! Some fun project for the youth. pm me for local portable woodmill guys if you want.

Find out if you have a local pulp-wood logger in your area. He may have a contract with a local paper-mill. If so, he 'd be glad to take that pine off your hands. Down here they get about $320.00 per bunk load if cut 16'6" long.
Good Luck !:dizzy:

After reviewing the photo I'd guess 5 or 6 bunk loads.

Last edited:
Down here they get about $320.00 per bunk load if cut 16'6" long.
After reviewing the photo I'd guess 5 or 6 bunk loads.
please note that this is what the logger gets. the logger typically gives little if anything.

what did american wood say--are they sending someone over? o thats right they are still standing...

Contact Chris Frey, the Wake Co Ranger:

2600 Howard Road
Raleigh, NC 27613-1615

Voice: 919-841-4046
Fax: 919-841-4045

[email protected]

He gets many requests about logging small lots. There are a handful of loggers who specialize in small lots

Just a note, the timber market is the worst it's ever been in NC. Pine pulp is less than $10/ton (sometime $3/ton).
You won't be making much, if any, money. BUT, you may be lucky and get someone to cut them all down and take them away without having to do the work yourself.

Just my $0.02 trillion worth....

lillogout.jpg

Make them fit, mark them well and have a raffle for the cabin kit.

Thanks Fumbler,

I spoke to the NC Forestry Dept/Wake county. They confirmed what I had heard from others. This just was not enough to have people come out and pay for the trees.

The good news is that the guy doing the grading can get a few hundred from the sticks and is reducing it off the total price. Worked out great.

Well good. That's about the best you can hope for in most of these situations. It takes some really high dollar trees or a really healthy timber market before most small forest lot owners can make some money.

Thanks Fumbler,

The good news is that the guy doing the grading can get a few hundred from the sticks and is reducing it off the total price. Worked out great.

If you're going to fall these, was wondering what the 'grading guy' is wanting left for a stump heigth, as to ease of taking these out?

Thanks M.R....turns out he uses an excavator to push the tress over, so now no reason to even fell them. I was def. up for it, but why spend a full day out dropping trees if it is better to just let him use his CAT to push them over.

Im a little sad I don't get a chance to let my chainsaw eat..but there will be other opportunities.

Back