What to do with this giant Sycamore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quarter saw large Sycamore

If it has to come down take advantage of a beautiful wood and have it quartersawn. A small mill might help with it and it"s value increases with quartersawing. This is my first post and if I can figure out how to post a pic I'll show a beautiful table I made from Sycamore that is always a conversation starter. The variation and figuring in the wood is unmatched. Good luck. I added a pic hopefully it will be available on the thread after I submit.

Jake, I think you may want to know this... A current MP of my country, Mr. Hakkarainen, is a Sportsfaller too! He's got convicted in a court of law for cut-and-run. Also he has a few drink-and-drives plus a nick-and-run (punk broke into a church and downed the ceremonial wine) under his belt.

I mean, Sportsfalling has parlamental devotees too. They're not all into golf.

Chipster's table, liked well enough to get a full round of rep after only 1 post...

225956d1330176202-sycamore-hall-table-20-06-11-jpg

The grain looks a bit like tiger maple in the front.

and provided some hawn yocker doesn't cut it down for something useful,

Never figured I'd come across someone using the term honyoker! But, I'm a NW Montana boy myself, and three generations before me. The connection sorta makes sense :msp_thumbup:

I cut and split a Sycamore last year. It ended up yielding about 2 to 3 cord. Sure it was a little harder to split than oak, but really not a big deal. Though it was all done with a gas splitter.

My only real issue with the tree was how bad it smelled when splitting. And it was very, very moist inside. I let it season outside for about a year it burned very well in my wood stove. I wouldn't hesitate to tackle another one of those trees.

quartersaw it

As a woodworking fanatic I agree quartersawn sycamore is absolutely beautiful when finished. It does have a tiger maple look to it. Save some of the log for this purpose.

Never figured I'd come across someone using the term honyoker! But, I'm a NW Montana boy myself, and three generations before me. The connection sorta makes sense :msp_thumbup:

I have not heard that term used since junior high days. I grew up in E. Warshington. Our next door neighbor used it a lot. Kahuna honyoker was the phrase.

Latest posts

Back