What to do with this giant Sycamore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabelogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have the opportuniy to take a very large sycamore that's easy to get to. My dilemma is what to do with it once I have it. Any ideas??? The tree is very much alive and about 130' tall and a girth of about 30 inches in diameter or more.

Plant it, burn it, or leave it, that's about all you can do.

lol, I like your sensibility. Just wondering if there was any market for it besides just firewood as I hear it's pretty hard to split. I have a new 28 ton splitter but don't really want to burn it up! Thanks for the reply

I know friends of mine that are guitar builders. They are using all different kind of woods. That may just be one use for it. :msp_smile:

Why go through all that work on ONE tree that produces such low grade wood?

I'd leave it.

Have it quartersawn in 8 ft. planks...a mix of 4/4 and 8/4. Sycamore is a rather bland-looking wood if flatsawn but when QS, it has a very attractive ray-fleck figure. Furniture makers will buy it.

Understand you don't have a gold mine there, its a sycamore. They will make ties out of it, but not ideal. Watch for it being hollow as many of them are, especially if it has huge swelling at the bottom or if it is real rough up the sides.

If you have to swing it or use the hinge for anything other than falling over, it takes more wood to get them to hold, as sycamore is chicken hearted.

Sam

Well alright then that settles it. I'll leave it. I can't haul it all out at once anyway most likely. I can haul a little over two cords worth of firewood but not able to quarter saw or any milling. Thanks everyone for all your input. I really appreciate it!

I've been eyeing a cottonwood that takes up too much space right on the creek. One fork goes bout 40' on the other side of the water. I was waiting for my bigger saw to get fixed as I detest turning wrenches.

Anyway we got 2.5' of snow. When we get snow, freezing rain is 2-3 days behind it. 4" of ice was too much for that fork over the water. I'll just leave the tree now. Ft Vancouver Plywood used to but cottonwood for veneer but they went under yrs ago

Originally Posted by forestryworks
"JAKE" says
I'd cut it down and then leave it.
I fixed it for you, the above is my preferred method

Mr Sportfaller :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Originally Posted by forestryworks
"JAKE" says
I'd cut it down and then leave it.
I fixed it for you, the above is my preferred method

Mr Sportfaller :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

:biggrin:
I can't run from who I am, so I gots to embrace it

and provided some hawn yocker doesn't cut it down for something useful, I've got my biggest sportfall to date planned for this spring when the road's passable, and there is a chance of it being shot in black and white and cutting using the C-52

Cut and Run!

That things not necessarily giant though at 30". I don't have any sycamore up here, but can't they get into the 4-5' range?

:biggrin:
I can't run from who I am, so I gots to embrace it

and provided some hawn yocker doesn't cut it down for something useful, I've got my biggest sportfall to date planned for this spring when the road's passable, and there is a chance of it being shot in black and white and cutting using the C-52

Make it happen! I'd like to see it. Make sure ya put a big ole chaw in before yer cuttin then spit on the stump when you're done.

If you have to swing it or use the hinge for anything other than falling over, it takes more wood to get them to hold, as sycamore is chicken hearted.

So true. I learned that by bouncing one off of a building. Short, wet, brittle fibers don't swing worth a damn.

That things not necessarily giant though at 30". I don't have any sycamore up here, but can't they get into the 4-5' range?

They're not native here, so the sycamores I've cut have been all landscape trees. The biggest I've dropped has been in the 40" range, which is more than big enough to give pause to size things up. That said, it is probably my least favorite species I've cut, mainly because it's such a picky #####.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back