what to reforest with?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all the great info. i'm not looking to do another pulp plantation though. i'd like something more long term. as for the grapes, i live in wine country and grew up as a vineyard laborer. so other than having a cellar full of wine (not my drink of choice) i can't really go for grapes. besides the microclimate created by the fingerlakes is on the other side of the hill i face. so it's a bit chillier, prone to later and earlier frosts and just downright cold. the benefit of grapes would be a nusiance permit for deer though. although i could probably swing that with an apple orchard or blueberry farm too. not that realistic though. scrambling to stuff all of last years venison down the kids throats to make room in the freezer for this year. thanks again for the advice and if anyone has anything in mind not yet mentioned, let's hear it!

thanks for all the great info. i'm not looking to do another pulp plantation though. i'd like something more long term. as for the grapes, i live in wine country and grew up as a vineyard laborer. so other than having a cellar full of wine (not my drink of choice) i can't really go for grapes. besides the microclimate created by the fingerlakes is on the other side of the hill i face. so it's a bit chillier, prone to later and earlier frosts and just downright cold. the benefit of grapes would be a nusiance permit for deer though. although i could probably swing that with an apple orchard or blueberry farm too. not that realistic though. scrambling to stuff all of last years venison down the kids throats to make room in the freezer for this year. thanks again for the advice and if anyone has anything in mind not yet mentioned, let's hear it!

I believe you mentioned something about a hardwood planting- consider this but with nurse crops. Your species will vary because of your location, but I would be including species to fit into a 2 thinning then clearcut regime, think "nurse crop" Here, something like poplar would make a great nurse crop, to encourage fast and straight stems. Plant 50% poplar, 25% hard maple, 25% cherry. thin at 30 years, again at 50 years, clearcut at 70, or enter into an uneven aged mgmt.

Plan on bushhogging for mech. comp. control. plant accordingly.

and, forestryworks is not an retard.

A Christmas tree farm might just be the way to go then. You can do three or four of the most popular varieties of X-mas trees and then get the kids/grandkids in on the maintenance. If carefully done, you can start getting viable trees in 7-9 years. Timber for the great-grandchildren on 15 acres probably won't have much profit margin in it unless you did some sort of specialty hardwoods targeting a niche market like custom furniture.

thanks all for the advice, and that is just what i asked for advice not a forestry terminology class. i don't mind a little ribbing but i don't have time for nit-picking.

hadn't thought about mixing in the poplar to encourage straighter growth....i like that idea. thanks

Well, here's the thing about terminology. You are asking advice from folks who make or made a living working in the woods.

We tend to use "forest terminology".

Back