what tree is orange inside?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil21502

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
out here in western md been cutting up a buch of these since that bad storm in july. anyway splits awesome but is like a dull orange inside...just wondering if any1 knew what kind of tree it was? has a dark rough bark on it.

Locust and mulberry are light yellow when fresh cut. Mulberry quickly turns redish brown as it drys.

Buckthorn is very orange when cut, and turns a darker orange as it seasons. Don't think it's actually a tree, but I have cut some 6-8" diameter stuff that made pretty good firewood.

yeah its dense and heavy like oak. maybe it is cherry. stuff reminds me of a pumpkin tho

I had some cherry here that started out fresh cut sort of a yellowish orange, then got darker soon after cutting. Your bark sounds like cherry.

but who knows, i love these mystery tree ID threads as i am always learning, rarely guess accurately.....

with tree ID, good leaf pics rule.

Bark like corn flakes, orangish in color, kinda heavy; tight rings, and maybe tough to cut through, then buckthorn. Split, well dried, will burn so hot to run you out of the house. I've 40yr old 8" on my place and it really throws heat for the short time it burns. Some folks I know had purchased a couple cords of it, fit your description well, and they said it was the best wood in twenty years.

Pleasantly aromatic, much taller than fifteen feet, maybe thirty feet plus, with really thick corn flakes, easy cutting, looser rings, diameters at breast height of 8+ inches on a single stem......cherry.

Not much out there to fit your description beyond these two species.

Like others have said, pictures, or even one would help.

Look up the Audobon Eastern trees field guide, it has fantastic color photos and will likely help in your quest. Makes a great, inexpensive gift as well.

Latest posts

Back