What Trimmer to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wigglesworth

Booned
Reaction score
So im in the market, as my 10 year old echo decided to spit all the nikasil out the exhaust port. :cry:

I looked at several this morning. I looked at Redmax, Stihl and Echo. Im not real keen on the 4-mix, even though its tried and tested, but im not all about a non adjustable carb.

Im wanting to keep under $300 or so. So what do you guys suggest?

I just picked up a Stihl KM90 power head for $309.. attachments are extra but I really like the system

I don't really have any good info to back up this statement, but I don't like my Echo trimmer. Just seems flimsy and Home-Cheapo-esque. I won't by Echo again. Going Stihl next time.

I don't really have any good info to back up this statement, but I don't like my Echo trimmer. Just seems flimsy and Home-Cheapo-esque. I won't by Echo again. Going Stihl next time.

I have had good luck out of my echo. It was used and abused when I got it, and I have flogged it like a mule. The only thing I can say bad about it is the non adjustable carb. Really ticks me off I cant tweak it.

I was looking again at the FS90R and the FS100RX, but I believe they are both 4-mix engines. Im kinda leary to be honest. They both have a fully adjustable carb though, which is a big plus to me.

I'd suggest a new Shindaiwa but it would probably be out of your price range. However, you might find a used one on craigslist or e-bay. If it is a runner, these hold up well. At least with craigslist you might get a chance to try before you buy.

i bought a new T272 and while it does real well, I can do the same job with an old T25 I picked up for $75.

Never had a single problem with my fs130r but I do like my fs250r better so it gets my vote. If you need something less powerful, most pros here run echo trimmers. You can also look at the Kawasaki line. I hear great things about them. Dare to be different and get a Subaru/Robin. Also reported to make excellent trimmers.

Trimmer

I run a Shindaiwa T242, My brother a Stihl FS90, My Dad an Echo. The Stihl is the most powerful (around 4 more cc's). I really like my Shindaiwa (as much as you can a trimmer I guess). You owe it to yourself to at least get a Shindaiwa head for whatever you buy.

Just like saws, buy one with a dealer nearby. I actually bought my Shindaiwa new on eBay from a dealer ( I called before purchasing ) for half price. RedMax and Kawasaki are also great. The more expensive Husky's (non-Poulan) are also supposed to be good.

I really think that if you spend $300 on a trimmer you are going to get quality. Just like $600+ on a saw. Everyone may not like it, but it'll flat work.

For trimmers I don't think you can do much better than an Echo. They have a great reputation. I just dont really care for the air filter setup. I see far too many of them smooshed, folded, etc. and they let a lot of crap get in there. Overtightening maybe, but I see it all the time. I really like what Husqvarna has, and the 326LS is a nice trimmer for the $299 price.

You wont be disappointed with an FS90R, i have used mine for the last three years trimming two acres i have fenced in plus around the house and it has never gave me one problem. Starts everytime and is big enough to cut those fast growing huge weeds along the lakeshore.

Well guys, lets just say I spent way more money than I wanted too....:)

Picked up the FS100RX :rock:

This thing is a beast. For what it weighs, it shouldn't have the kind of power it does. :) I cant believe how light it is. Its like holding nothing...only 10.4lbs. The lightest professional trimmer Stihl makes. Still not sure of the longevity of the 4-mixer, but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Also bought the Ultra oil, to "Double the Warranty"....well see how that goes I guess.

This thing is a beast. For what it weighs, it shouldn't have the kind of power it does. :) I cant believe how light it is. Its like holding nothing...only 10.4lbs. The lightest professional trimmer Stihl makes. Still not sure of the longevity of the 4-mixer, but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Also bought the Ultra oil, to "Double the Warranty"....well see how that goes I guess.

Awesome. Good luck with it.

What was the asking price on that? I haven't been to the shop in a while - just wondering what they're going for these days.

Awesome. Good luck with it.

What was the asking price on that? I haven't been to the shop in a while - just wondering what they're going for these days.

Suggested retail is....$349.95 in my area.
And Stihl trimmers have a two year warranty vs. only one year on chainsaws.
Buying that little 6-pack of oil doubles it to four years....what a deal!!!
Also lifetime warranty on cable drive...and clutch.....I think???

Last edited:

I've had my 110 for 4 years now and it's an awesome trimmer, you won't have any issues with your 100 as long as you run ultra at 50:1 the 4mix engines carbon up with other richer or non syn mixes.

You spent way more than I did!

Back