What type of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cornus kousa- bracts are pointed
C. florida- bracts are notched
One more vote for Kousa.

Dogwood sounds right.

But I had a Kousa myself, and the leaves were narrower.

I'd suspect possibly that it may be a USA native.

In one book I looked at, Cornus nuttalli and Cornus florida each have a broader leaf than some other dogwoods on the same page.

Just curious what makes you think that? I've always thought Dogwoods seem to have an almost perfect structure and need little pruning? Kind of like a White Oak or Poplar.

Generally reduction; wrong plant for the location. I've seen them planted next to houses, next to walkways, too close to other plant material, etc etc and the homeowner quite simply either wants it reduced in width, height, or both.

Kousa. Also referred to as a Korean dogwood (or so I've heard). Flowers late, after all the other dogwoods and magnolias and crabs and redbuds are done. There's a couple weeks where the flowering ornamentals seem to be done and over, the maples are putting on heavy seed, and just about the time the cottonwoods are sending forth a downy drenching of their tufty 'cotton', BAM - on comes this late-arriving beautiful flowering ornamental when there's nothing else flowering (mid June in Indiana).

Nice treat, this tree. I have a gorgeous one across the street from me, in flower right now (June 15).

Last edited:
That's a Kousa, there is no doubt...

I shot some pics of an awesome pink kousa cultivar today.....

if ya'll are nice, maybe I'll even post 'em...:givebeer:

I saw an awesome white one today...drive by, no pics.....it was in full flower. most kousas are blooming very poorly and 3 weeks late, along with everything else, due to our schizophrenic and late, cold, wet spring....

Last edited:
+1

That's a Kousa, there is no doubt...

I shot some pics of an awesome pink kousa cultivar today.....

if ya'll are nice, maybe I'll even post 'em...:givebeer:

I saw an awesome white one today...drive by, no pics.....it was in full flower. most kousas are blooming very poorly and 3 weeks late, along with everything else, due to our schizophrenic and late, cold, wet spring....

same here, to much of everything at the wrong time lol

yes kousa but the leaves are unusually round--cultivar?

It looks very similar to an "evergreen kousa dogwood" that was introduced to the US from Asia by the arboretum at NCSU in the late 1980's. There are several near me that my brother placed for observation when he was working on his masters degree. I'll try to get by and look at them today.

Latest posts

Back