What type of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutmasterRick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The pictures below are of tree that we have on our farm here in North Alabama. It is in a wetlands area and appears to be a maple. The lower limbs bend down to the ground, root, and produce saplings as you can see in the pictures. The result is a large, mature tree surrounded by a small army of saplings.

In this picture you can see a couple of the limbs that have produced saplings:
091908_16451.jpg

This picture shows another of the limbs that has grown into the ground:
091908_16462.jpg

And finally, here is a close up of some of the leaves:
091908_16471.jpg

Does this variety normally propagate through the limbs rooting or is this a result of its location/environment?

not up on my latin but i am thinking swamp maple. red maple?

is it in a swampy area?

edit: yup just like you said its in the wetlands

Last edited:
Yup to above^^^

And yes, they are notorious shoot producers, but you can with a bit of management make a nice maple copse and have some potentially cool burls a few years down the road, but not really sure as am not an expert.

Does this variety normally propagate through the limbs rooting or is this a result of its location/environment?

Probably in decay and struggling to survive. Native red maples in this part are short-lived weed trees. Seed dispersal is the most common way of propagation. What part of North Alabama are you in?

Probably in decay and struggling to survive. Native red maples in this part are short-lived weed trees. Seed dispersal is the most common way of propagation. What part of North Alabama are you in?

We are in the SE part of Limestone county, near the city of Madison.

BTY, thanks to all who have responded.

We are in the SE part of Limestone county, near the city of Madison.

BTY, thanks to all who have responded.

Mooresville?

I travel through Belle Mina often.
Nice country.

I'm up on a mountain south of the Tennessee river.

Last edited:
Back