What type of tree logs are these? (pics) Big Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Doing work on a house with 2 cords full not wanted by home owner. Sitting for 1-2yrs. Oak?? right one is wet.

log.jpg

Last edited:
the one on the left looks like a pine - based on the bark.

the right is probably the oak.

Tried to look around the house for stumps. I saw one and then saw pine needles around it. Not sure now. There's all different types on the small .10 acre property. I saw Tulip. Pines. Oaks. Maples.

Can we use process of elimination? I'm pretty sure it's not mixed. It should be just one tree. Some logs are wet.

Here's some more pics. Fun isn't it? :)

100_1115.jpg

100_1116.jpg

100_1117.jpg

100_1119.jpg

Neighbor came over. He's pretty good at identifying. Kinda stumbled a little on this one though.

He said Not Maple. Not Pine. Not Oak. Not Hickory. He was led to believe it's Popular. Now I'll check if that burns good.

Logs are in White Plains, NY if that helps identify it. lol

So far , HittinSteel, WidowMaker, & taylor6400 said Popular.

If it's dense and heavy you may have Norway Maple if not...... Poplar

That was my first thought too. Took a smallish one down for my mother that looked a bit like that. Real light colored wood.

tomtrees being in an urban area where norway is planted a lot as a landscape tree must see a bunch of it. So I'm not too committed to my first thought if he thinks its not norway.

me either, with tomtrees saying it is poplar, I'm changin my answer to just poplar....... glad I didn't say ash :laugh:hahahaha:laugh:

me either, with tomtrees saying it is poplar, I'm changin my answer to just poplar....... glad I didn't say ash :laugh:hahahaha:laugh:

:laugh:

the woodgrain doesn't seem to have the telltale maple quality, which is mostly why I hedged. But the poplar I have up here (not tulip) gets kind of 'fuzzy' at the ends. That and it wouldn't be that solid after a couple years of sitting.

Gentlemen, don't want to ruffle yer feathers, but that there be hickory. It is hickory. Without a doubt.

Hmmm, what else can I do to give a better look? Close ups? Cut a piece? Maybe a picture of the property or tree stump I found?

I'll do tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Back