What type of wood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved26

Reaction score
i got a big pile of wood. Not sure what it is. It does look like 2 different types. Can anyone tell what it might be? Also how does anyone tell what type of wood they are getting for free from like Craigslist if the owner doesn't know? Any type of book or pictures??
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3266.PNG
    IMG_3266.PNG
    6.9 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3267.PNG
    IMG_3267.PNG
    6 MB · Views: 76
The more textured one looks like ash to me. Basswood sometimes looks like that too, though. The other might be a soft maple, red or silver perhaps.

How to determine what's what gets easier the longer you do it. You'll get the hang of the usual suspects in your area.

Definitely Ash, but I'm saying cherry on the other ( you'll know when you split it)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Looks like a blend of ash and basswood to me. They can kinda look alike on the outside, but the basswood's not as dense.

Love the smell of basswood burning, though.

I cut down a tree that I thought was ash mainly because it looked like ash and was surrounded by ash trees. Once i cut it I realized it was not ash it was a bit more yellow inside. I'm not sure if basswood is effected by the ash borer but I thought it was a dieing ash tree.

I think it might all be poplar.

As for tre identification, A dichotomous key is what you need. This book is a good start for tree ID
https://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/

The Audubon Tree Guide is good for picture ID

Identification from bark and grain is pretty tough. You almost need to start identifying trees in your area in their natural state (not cut up in a pile). It might be better to learn to identify the wood you don't want. I only mistook willow for black locust one time...

Picture 3 looks like ash on top of cherry on top of what looks like young oak.

Motorsen

nwef5k.jpg

The one on the left is white ash, on the right's basswood

Latest posts

Back