What was your 1st chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1994 purchased my Stihl 039, still have it and is my most run saw of the 4 of them.

Decided on a Stihl after using the #### out of my Fire Department's Stihl Rescue Saw (044 or 046 cannot remember exact model.) It had carbide chains; we used it mostly for roof ventilation, it cut through wood, steel, shingles, you name it. We used it on trees and power poles quite a bit also, usually getting them off cars for extrication.

Stihl MS290 w/20" bar

Joined AS to learn about fixing an oiler issue and muffler modded shortly after - 3 months later I had 4 saws. This site has incredible amounts of information and is a great resource - but it is trouble! :msp_tongue:

Yeah well I was helping my dad clear a lot and he let me use a poulan he had. I got tired of having to baby it through everything so i bought the 290. at the time i thought it was an amazing running saw. Compaired to the new poulan i was running it was amazing. But now i found some better running models.:rock:
That's starting out kinda high dollar....

Yeah well I was helping my dad clear a lot and he let me use a poulan he had. I got tired of having to baby it through everything so i bought the 290. at the time i thought it was an amazing running saw. Compaired to the new poulan i was running it was amazing. But now i found some better running models.:rock:

I was just givin' you the business...actually they are amazing running saws compared to many. I have three of them currently.

My first saw was a 1992 Husky 262xp that my dad gave me back in 2004 or so. I'm currently rebuilding it to its former glory. The first saw I actually paid for was a Dolmar PS-341 I got off craigslist for $55 last fall. It's a great running little 33cc saw that I use all the time around the house. I also have an 80s model Homelite 410 that I got with another saw and 2 brand new bars for $50 off craigslist. Those 3 with the addition of a Jonsered 2077 my dad also gave me rounds out the list. I'll most likely get rid of the 410 and get something between the Dolmar 341 and my 262xp... possibly a 346xpg since everyone here loves them. Might go with a 026/260 though since I don't own a Stihl yet and I'd hate to show any bias. :msp_tongue: I guess I'll also need a 40cc saw just to fill that gap since right now I have 33cc, 62cc, 68cc and 77cc.

First one I ever ran was a mac 15. Wow.:cool2:

First saw I bought was a Pioneer 1074 brand new in the early eighties. Sold it for some reason and for years I only had an 023. Then I landed here.

Now I got close to 30 I can cut with anytime. I keep thinking the saw bucket list is getting short, but then I see another one I want.

The first saw that I owned was a Skil 1614, bought at Levy Bros in Louisville. I think they also had a 1616, but I didn't need a BIG saw, used it to cut up enough sawlog slabs to heat my house for two winters and scored the piston, wasn't worth fixin. Moved back to the homeplace and needed to do some clearing so I bought a real saw, Husqvarna 50 in '87 and still like the Huskys.

I was just givin' you the business...actually they are amazing running saws compared to many. I have three of them currently.
Oh i know. i was in love with it till I ran a 261 , 362, and 441. Then i bought a 441 and wow now the 290 looks like a poulan. But id buy that 290 back just because.

08s, 036Pro

First saw I ran was my dads 08s. He had it until the late 80's and burnt up and then He bought an 028 and still uses it today.
My first saw I personally owned is my 036 Pro bought it in the late ninety's and its still kickin butt.

Jeff

My first Saw

Was an old homelite Buz...........Heavy was the word......but if we kept it sharp and pump the oil to it....man it could cut some wood........Just bought a David Bradley that looks simular to my first saw.........

First saw I actually bought was a Stihl 041 AV. My father-in-law used it to cut firewood in the Black Hills of S.D. He quit cutting and I introduced it to Iowa hardwoods. Love the sound of that 041-especially at idle.

Ron

Dolmar PS540....used it to clear my house lot. Liked it so much i bought a PS7300 to work around the saw mill with.

Back