What was your dad/family's first saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad got his jonsered 70e in 1980ish. He used to cut wood for us(10-15 cord a year) and sell a couple hundred cord in the summer since he was a teacher. He still has it and it runs great. Heavy as hell though. He laughs at me for having more than one saw.

Last edited:
My dads was a Stihl 031AV Electronic. Still have it, and always will. Very nice saw, and I have cut quite a bit of wood with it as well.

Early 70's Homelite Super XL Automatic

It went to the dump in the late 80's. My dad later bought an 034 Super.

Last edited:
My Grandfathers first saw is a Mac 15 which I still have and yes it still runs, Put a carb kit in it almost 2 years ago now.

MAC1.jpg

Even still have the original box

box004.jpg

My fathers first saw is a Stihl 08s and my first one is my Stihl MS341

My Dad's first saw was a "cedar saw" (one handle but had teeth like a misery whip crosscut).

He used it to cut firewood for his family before he was a teenager, as he was the man of his family after his father died.

Then he bought an 040 Stihl when I was a teen.

Super 2

My dads first saw was a homelite super 2 from 1978. It still runs great to this day!

My dad had a Homelite Super 2 when I was a little kid. I don't know what ever happened to it. He bought a used 028 WB around 1980 which I still have. I also have Grandpa's old Mac 1010...I still use it from time to time.

Dad's first was a Husqvarna 44 rancher. Mid 80s model with white top. Still runs today and has cut more wood than any small saw should. I bought one later for myself from a co-worker '88 model with plastic brake handle and it is one of my favorites. I would prefer to have the metal brake handle for it though.

The first saw I remember my father having was a old blue homelite, pretty sure it was an XL. He's still got it out in the tool shed.

Well, I'm new to the forum, and I'll be posting up for some help in a bit, but my first saw I ever used was my Grandfather's, Fathers, and now my Jonsered 601. Saw ran great until 5-6 years ago when the Pull start broke, then it sat. (Dad bought a Husky) I just decided to get the old girl going again.... Here she is, pretty good shape for a 40 year old saw!

Jonsered601.jpg

Jonsered601b.jpg

JonseredEngineandCarb.jpg

Keeper

Well, I'm new to the forum, and I'll be posting up for some help in a bit, but my first saw I ever used was my Grandfather's, Fathers, and now my Jonsered 601. Saw ran great until 5-6 years ago when the Pull start broke, then it sat. (Dad bought a Husky) I just decided to get the old girl going again.... Here she is, pretty good shape for a 40 year old saw!

Pretty awesome looking saw, in great shape and condition cosmetically for its age, and with some real history. Fix that one up, there will be planny here on AS who will help you figure it out and locate parts.

The family's first saw, yep I'll never forget it. Was a 70's homelite XL.

My father and I had landed a small clearing/rough road project. We didn't have any equipment or any saws. We rented a crawler loader and my best friend who worked for us, volunteered his saw. First half of the day went fine, I went to get lunch and when I got back my dad and my friend were at each other's throats yellin, screaming, cursing and pointing fingers. Apparently, my dad ran his saw over pretty good with the loader and my friend was pissed and they were both blaming the other guy. My dad went out and rented another saw, I gave my friend $100 for his homelite, put it in a box and took it home, it never ran again, in fact I never even got to run it at all, but......we all remained friends and years later were able to reminisce about that day and laugh like hell, and still either one of them insist the other was to blame.

I was just a little shaver when my mom bought my dad an XL 12 in 1966. It was a birthday present for him and he promptly used it to drop a large dead elm. I still have the saw today. Dad was severely injured by the saw years later.

Our first chain saw was a Mac 3-25. We bought it in 1950 and wore it out cutting oak fire wood. We used it for felling and trimming only. We cut the trunks into fireplace lengths with a buzz saw mounted on an old F-30 tractor. Prior to the 3-25 we were felling with a two-man crosscut. The wood went to Wichita fireplaces. I made my spending money thru high school that way. $5.00 a rick then, is a lot different now.

I hope to find a decent 3-25 to rebuild some day. Anyone have a good rebuildable one?

BirdHunter

New to the site but thought I would add my story. The first saw I know about is a 1997 Husqvarna 51. My Dad bought it from the local rental company. After a large storm a couple years ago he bought a MS440 so we could use both for the clean up. I took the Husky and he sold the MS440. Really wish I could have kept the MS440 but the Husky will work fine for now.

Last edited:
New to the site but thought I would add my story. The first saw I know about is a 1997 Husqvarna 51. My Dad bought it from the local rental company. After a large storm a couple years ago he bought a MS440 so we could use both for the clean up. I took the Husky and he sold the MS440. Really wish I could have kept the MS440 but the Husky will work fine for now.

Welcome to the site. Noob Rep for your first post.

Well I guess I'm the first chainsaw nut int he family... but pop had a some old no-name yeller saw, I don't recall a label but it was something cheap, sold at a local dealer. Some said it was a Remington, but I have no clue. Well it died, and he bought a Homelite, which we had until a tree branch broke the handle off the saw. Then it a Craftsman/Poulan which he still has. Somewhere after the Craftsman he also won for $15 in a sealed bid auction MY first saw :hmm3grin2orange: a 038 AV, which I wish I still had.

Now I have those mentioned below.... Just traded the 361 for the M-Tronic 441, and I may pick up a 26/260/261 derivative used sometime down the road. For now the 192T will get the light-duty cutting and the 441 most of the work I do.

dw

Well my Grandpa had a XL-2 that he used around the cottage for the never ending falling willow branches. I have a pic of him cutting roots w/ it. Then my Dad got it after he passed and used it for the deck(4x4's) Then I got it along w/ NIB grease gun and the trashed chains. I used it for 3yrs. to heat my house (20Fc yr.) Needed some thing faster, so the search begain, found AS, replaced it w/ 334T, I haven't been right since!!!

My adopted Gandpa (Inlaw) who's house I live in. Had 3400 Poulans that he used to Log our woods, before I was a saw freak!!
That was the first time I'v ever helped logging, first time getting hit w/ a widow maker (3'' oak limb 6' long right on the collar bone).
Sent me to the gound 5' back, was sore, swollen, black-n-blue for a month.
I bought both saws (one runner and a smashed parts saw) for $50 before he passed. I now have the very saws that logged our woods, and the saw that caused my first near miss.
That was my BIG saw that I used until I was cutting a NICE Maple and the carb. came lose while I was putting the back in, stalled, wind picked up, and the tree came over backwards, almost getting me.
I have the saw torn down to restore, I'd like to restore the parts saw too and put a Bow on it.

the only saw I remember my dad having was a husky 50...... when I was a kid it was probably this single most bad ass tool that he had, it died the horrible death of my dad leaving it outside in every kind of weather imaginable.... he now has a ms290 farm boss w/ 18" B&C..... and I have a 029 super

Latest posts

Back