What was your worst injury?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure. Boss tells me I am too slow, but he doesnt provide insurance. So I will either be slow, or I will just go home. Keeping my digits and limbs is pretty important.

Be careful out there guys :)

Back when I used to work for other services every now and then I would have an owner tell me that I wasn't climbing fast enough (usually an owner who didn't climb). I would always reply that I have two speeds and if they didn't like the current speed they surely wouldn't like the other.

When I raced mx I had 6 serious concusions but one was really bad. I slit a 700 $ helmet and pissed my self. I couldn't walk for six hours or so and had to be reatraned at my job.

When I raced mx I had 6 serious concusions but one was really bad. I slit a 700 $ helmet and pissed my self. I couldn't walk for six hours or so and had to be reatraned at my job.

What made the 6th one so special and not the first one before you came to your senses and stopped while you were ahead.:hmm3grin2orange:

My worst injury, measured by the length of time off work, is hardly worth bragging about. I had a drunkard's arm long time ago. Yes, passed out on my shoulder, totally wasted, woke up with a right arm paralysed below elbow... No cracks about a limp wrist, ok?

Back then I was working as a carpenter. Now I can laugh at it, but describing how it happened to doctor, having a hangover and stinking like a still factory, was not my brightest moment. Insurance didn't cover the alcohol related accidents or injuries.

It took two months before I could operate my fingers again and get back to work. Got sacked, of course. That compound was a ####hole, anyway.

Going lefty wasn't difficult to me. My both hands are just about equal. All men of my family are like that (have two left hands, as my grandma put it). I remember that driving a manual gear box car was challenging for a while.

My buddies said I had slept on my shoulder at least six hours before I got up. I guess the nerve pinched pretty good. The doc predicted first that the paralysis may be permanent. There was a numb patch on the back of my hand and wrist for a year or something after the incident. However it fully recovered by time. Haven't noticed anything special ever since.

Took a silky to the shin bone. It really did not cut me but just kind of stuck there until I could pull it out.

I have had a lot of insignificant injuries (burns, bumps, bruises, cuts, etc...). I actually was climbing on Friday and hurt myself a little. Went to toss my flipline around a North American Pine and it flopped over a limb on the back side I didn't see. Rolled over my hand (which was ready to catch it) and the hook knocked me right below my left eye. Split the skin open, and bled pretty good for a few mins. Just held pressure on it, waited for it to stop bleeding, and continued.

The worst injury I've had to date happened a few years ago. I have a boat (1992 21' cuddy cabin Inboard/outboard pleasure boat with a Chevy 350) that we run in the Chesapeake Bay. Was having issues with the boat overheating (turned out to be a cirmped hose in the lower unit which fed seawater to the fresh water heat exchanger). The boat overheated, and was blowing steam/water from the heat exchanger cap. I had 4-5 friends in the boat, and we were ~3-4 miles from the boat launch up a small river inlet. We pulled over, and shut the boat down. Pulled the dog house, and started the waiting game for the motor to cool down. After 25-30 mins, I felt the heat exchanger hoses and they had no pressure on them at all. So, I pressed down on the radiator cap and it blew apart. I shoved all passengers into the cabin and attempted to throw a towel over the geyser. It wound up burning the entire right side of my face (2nd degree burns), including my right cornea and inner ear. I still ensured everyone else was safe (no other injuries), and contacted a local boat towing company and got towed back to dock. So, I ended what should have been a fun day with 2nd degree burns covering the entire right side of my face, and a $750 tow bill. About 5 mins from reaching the desitnation my face started to blister up pretty bad, so we called 911 and the ambulance met us at the dock. Got a ride to the ER, and plenty of pain meds. Wasn't much that could be done until the burn started to heal. Had eye drops for my cornea, and an order to keep peeling away the damaged flesh so new skin could grow in it's place. Got ~3 weeks off of work (to prevent any grease/oil/dirt/dust from entering the wound) and a ton of narcotics to survive the pain. If anyone's interested, I can provide some pretty rough pictures of the healing process when I get off working at my first job.

End result was a full recovery with no scars. You honestly would never know I had any injury at all. But, you'd better believe I have a lot more respect for overheated engines and will keep them damned things covered up until they are cooled back down to ambient temperature no matter what the circumstances are. Steam burns aren't fun!

EDIT: Here are the pics. These were taken 3-4 days afterwards, as the real damage started to show. Up until that point, my skin just looked pasty white from the dead layers of skin. By this point it was peeling off revealing the depth of the burn.

29995_401240068758_656483758_4361365_5377085_n.jpg

29995_401419933758_656483758_4365509_5162254_n.jpg

~Will Courtier~

Last edited:
I caught a whole face full of radiator once, but I never scalded my eyes. I'll bet that sucked.

I had neat little un-burned wrinkles in the skin around my eyes; apparently, I had them clinched very tight when it got me. I also had blisters everywhere else on my face, including the tops of both ears and up my nose.

I can empathize!

Ouch.....

Back about 11 or 12 years ago I was out snowboarding on a Saturday. We had just received 16 inches of fresh powder the night before. It was a "bluebird" day, skiers and snowboarders know what that means. :msp_w00t: Last run of the day I was cruisin' down one of the trails that cut across the side of the mountain. The trail was groomed so the downhill side has a nice little "curb" that was begging to be slashed. As I was flying through the air I realized that the "curb" was nothing but fluff and I had gone through as though nothing was there at all. As I said this was on the downhill side of the trail. My 15ft free fall ended with me landing on a tree stump taking the entire impact on the left side of my ribs. I never lost consciousness, I remember it all. The sound I heard was like some one jumping on a heavy
duty wicker basket, turns my stomach just to think about it. I had the wind knocked out of me just short of passing out. I managed to climb up the bank onto the trail and even walk about 100 yards down the trail. I was feeling really tired and by this time the pain in my chest had become almost unbearable. I sat down on the side of the trail, and couldn't get back up. I also started to get a tickle in my throat, made me cough. You guessed it, coughed up blood. :msp_scared: Right then a ski patrol came over and asked it I was alright? I said no, do you need help?, he said, I said ayuh. They put me in the sled, took me down the mountain, and loaded me into the ambulance. After checking me over the EMT says, "I'm really sorry but I have to intubate(?) your lung, it's collapsing, this is gonna hurt, a lot". So he makes a 1 1/2 inch cut on the side of my chest and inserts a tube into my left lung. They must have been giving me morphine because the pain was starting to fade and so was I. So to make a really long story just a little bit longer and to get to my worst injury ever, I ended up with 6 broken ribs, punctured/collapsed lung, and they didn't even know until after they got me into the emergency room that my spleen was in a bunch of little pieces. I now have a "zipper" that starts 3 inches below my belly button and stops right at the tip of my sternum. Spent 9 days in the hospital and only missed three weeks of work. The surgeon told me "it could have been a whole lot worse", I'm still here livin' and breathin' so I agree with the Doc. :hmm3grin2orange: You just never know.....
Work safe. ::thumbsup::

Absolutely.

Very few people are as good as me at wrecking motorcycles. It takes a very special talent to wreck the bike & yourself, and still keep going like the energizer bunny.

Ok. The energizer bunny doesn't limp. But other than that, I'm doing pretty good.

Who else do you know that can burn all the skin off their face two times and not have any scars? That take a very special talent!

I think I have you beat on motorcycles...will have to type it out on a real comp. Phone keys:msp_sad: r tiny....stand by..

In 98..broke my toe riding with danner hunting boots..bought riding boots two days later..toenail fell off months later.
99 crashed into a mesquite tree and hematoma to the ARM down to the bone...lucky I didn't get impaled ..I've seen that happen to a kid. He took a limb into the chest.
2001 ...kid made a worm trail in the sand about 2 feet deep where there had been smooth sand for the past 1000 years. Hit it sitting down at around 20 mph..bike followed me over..tucked my head in just before impact or would have broke my neck. Got up ..picked the bike up, put the kickstand down, took off my helmet,then my pack. Laid down in the sand and woke up looking at the stars in serious pain. I went down in 2" of water and the temp was in the upper 50s..got my gear together, got on my bike and rode back to my truck about a mile away.
Spent the night, when my pals show up the next morning I had them call my parents..had my parents call for the EMT. Got a chopper ride to the E.R. with a broken back.
I can't remember the numbers for the 3 I broke. They are between the shoulder blades. One was smashed into tiny bits and 2 with hairline cracks.
09 broke my tibia and tore my ACL.
Last weekend I looped out and busted my butt in a big way.

That's the super short story...all in all I've been out of work for about 2 years total since 92 from this type of stuff and that doesnt include burns cuts and other random stupidity.
I have missed less than a week from work related stuff since 93....and no saw accidents..knock on wood..
Just be safe everyone...for your families and your selves.:chainsaw:

That's ok. Let's just agree that we have both been pretty careless on the motorcycle. I'm paying quite a toll right now in arthritis.

Yourself?

Well I still have 3 CR500s and a CRFX450.. I'm planning to go out this weekend.
Wish I could post pics. The one of my butt from 9 days ago has people rolling on the floor...it did hurt like a SOB.
The back healed %100.. my knee is about %90...my biggest problem is carpal tunnel snd. from 15 years of crimping wires on wire harnesses.

Latest posts

Back