What was your worst injury?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am from n.w. Montana. am going to Colorado to cut and set a line machine crew up for another Logger, should be there before months end. I have logged in Washington, Oregon,Idaho,Wyoming and Louisiana and east Texas as well. Are you a logger as well ?

Nah, I am one of those arbos you mentioned.
Jeff :msp_smile:

BTW, today is the first day I can use my thumb again, to run a mouse. Yee Haw!

I carved on it a bit a couple months ago. Been letting the tendons heal. Blessed to get it put back on.

Be careful out there.....

Carry on.

Managed this beauty thanks to a rotted and jagged locust stump. It nearly impaled the back of my calf. Instead it went through my jeans, grabbed traction on my skin and tore this nice :heart: shaped hole.

0311001617.jpg

0311001712.jpg

0311001625a.jpg

Doc did a fine job of closing things up :msp_smile:

0311001810a.jpg

Managed this beauty thanks to a rotted and jagged locust stump. It nearly impaled the back of my calf. Instead it went through my jeans, grabbed traction on my skin and tore this nice :heart: shaped hole.

0311001617.jpg

0311001712.jpg

0311001625a.jpg

Doc did a fine job of closing things up :msp_smile:

0311001810a.jpg

Wow! That looks serious. :msp_scared: What'd the Doc say, full recovery? How long ya' laid up for?
By the way, how'd you manage to get skewered by a stump? :dunno:

Yep, full recovery. Just a bit tender for a week or so. Fortunately, it was just a flesh wound and the stump never tore into the calf muscle itself. I jumped down an embankment. The bottom was full of leaf litter and hiding a nasty stump. I guess i got lucky. It couldve been my
arse :msp_scared:

Got this one pulling the bar out of a large pine when it started to pinch the chain, my leg was very close to the pine and in an awkward position. I pulled it out and it caught my knee. Naturally I was working alone, so I tied a towel on it pretty tight, drove home, hosed it out, and then drove myself to the ER. I could see the bone and tendons, buts fortunately, missed them all...had new chaps the next day.,,,3/8" full chisel.
431337_2472122421243_1797872242_1484508_1751114860_n.jpg

Got this one pulling the bar out of a large pine when it started to pinch the chain, my leg was very close to the pine and in an awkward position. I pulled it out and it caught my knee. Naturally I was working alone, so I tied a towel on it pretty tight, drove home, hosed it out, and then drove myself to the ER. I could see the bone and tendons, buts fortunately, missed them all...had new chaps the next day.,,,3/8" full chisel.

OUCH!!! That's a rough way to get welcomed to the site. :msp_scared:
Sounds like you were VERY fortunate. Heal quick and welcome to AS! :msp_thumbup:

Ouch,, hindsight is 20/20, right?
I train my guys to use chaps on the ground when cutting. No exceptions,,I am sorry for your accident, but as an op's guy, I have to do a lot of paper work and near the bottom of an accident report you need to check a box that ask's if this accident was preventable.
I always check 'yes'.
I find that it is usually the the guy with years of experience that get's complacent and those injuries are some time's serious.
One of my best climbers' is on light duty because he hit his leg inside the knee cap with his handsaw. He thought nothing of it. You know,,,, dang, bleeding, oh well, no big deal,,,he kept working.
I was miles away but our regional guy showed up on the job and saw his leg and took him to the hospital. If he had not done that, Carl could of lost his leg.
He thought nothing of it,,no big deal.
It seems he poked a hole in the area of the knee cap between it and the knee. Sensitive.area. It made a squishy sound when he moved it.
Anyway, never climb alone.
Jeff :msp_wink:

Ouch,, hindsight is 20/20, right?
I train my guys to use chaps on the ground when cutting. No exceptions,,I am sorry for your accident, but as an op's guy, I have to do a lot of paper work and near the bottom of an accident report you need to check a box that ask's if this accident was preventable.
I always check 'yes'.
I find that it is usually the the guy with years of experience that get's complacent and those injuries are some time's serious.
One of my best climbers' is on light duty because he hit his leg inside the knee cap with his handsaw. He thought nothing of it. You know,,,, dang, bleeding, oh well, no big deal,,,he kept working.
I was miles away but our regional guy showed up on the job and saw his leg and took him to the hospital. If he had not done that, Carl could of lost his leg.
He thought nothing of it,,no big deal.
It seems he poked a hole in the area of the knee cap between it and the knee. Sensitive.area. It made a squishy sound when he moved it.
Anyway, never climb alone.
Jeff :msp_wink:
I don't know if it's complacency or just the fact that experienced are always doing the real deal! And sorry but some accidents can only be prevented by staying home.

On the job?

Spiked my right ankle when i was learning on climbing hooks -- pulled out and slid 20 ft. down an alder (hugging the tree just scraped up my arms and didn't slow me down), went through the boot to the bone in my ankle; went back to work after a smoke break.

Tore up my shoulder getting big pine limbs unstuck over a two day period climbing on a Blakes hitch. Still isn't the same (also found out i have arthritis)

Fell down a ladder and dislocated my thumb:

View attachment 273055View attachment 273056
Plate and screws to fuse three cervical vertebrae after repeated insults (some not work related, like playing rugby for three years as a second row)

Little scar on my left temple after wacking myself there with the knob on the end of a choker i was trying to set under a log (pulled it out for a new spot and it wacked me). Went back to work right away, probably witha concussion 00 everyone sad I looked like a pirate with a scrap of my shirt tied around my head as a bloody bandage:msp_biggrin:).

Little scar above my right eye after yanking on my pole saw, sending the tip into my skull a half inch above the brow (I had earlier broken the rounded tip off but kept using it)

Lost the corner and nail of my left thmb, trimming a cool wood sample free hand with my MS200T (probably the DUMBEST thing I have done).

Not all that huge and gory, but coulda been worse.

On the job?

Spiked my right ankle when i was learning on climbing hooks -- pulled out and slid 20 ft. down an alder (hugging the tree just scraped up my arms and didn't slow me down), went through the boot to the bone in my ankle; went back to work after a smoke break.

Tore up my shoulder getting big pine limbs unstuck over a two day period climbing on a Blakes hitch. Still isn't the same (also found out i have arthritis)

Fell down a ladder and dislocated my thumb:

View attachment 273055View attachment 273056
Plate and screws to fuse three cervical vertebrae after repeated insults (some not work related, like playing rugby for three years as a second row)

Little scar on my left temple after wacking myself there with the knob on the end of a choker i was trying to set under a log (pulled it out for a new spot and it wacked me). Went back to work right away, probably witha concussion 00 everyone sad I looked like a pirate with a scrap of my shirt tied around my head as a bloody bandage:msp_biggrin:).

Little scar above my right eye after yanking on my pole saw, sending the tip into my skull a half inch above the brow (I had earlier broken the rounded tip off but kept using it)

Lost the corner and nail of my left thmb, trimming a cool wood sample free hand with my MS200T (probably the DUMBEST thing I have done).

Not all that huge and gory, but coulda been worse.

Funny,, insert Benny Hill music here!
Jeff :msp_w00t:

Funny,, insert Benny Hill music here!
Jeff :msp_w00t:

Agreed!

Too bad there is no video of me falling asleep at the wheel as a 17 year old in the left lane of the freeway, and making my way across three lanes to total a Honda Civic by burrowing into a grassy embankment. Woke up on the operating table as a doc was sewing up my face and shining a light in my eye to see if I was comatose or not. Any other spot for miles would have been way worse (drops, rock ledge, bridge abutments, guardrail to bounce me back under a semi, etc.).

Anyone see the Simpson's cartoon episode where he falls asleep and drives home dragging a dog and doghouse, clothesline, and stretch of picket fence? Almost like that. If I was a Believer, I would have to conclude that He was right there with me for some reason or other.

OUCH!!! That's a rough way to get welcomed to the site. :msp_scared:
Sounds like you were VERY fortunate. Heal quick and welcome to AS! :msp_thumbup:

Thanks, I have always been accident prone and grew up as the kid that could...or at the least try... I have more scars than fingers, the places I recall having stiches are:
3 cuts forehead
1 cut eyebrow
1 cut left eye lid
1 cut under left eye
2 cuts under chin
1 cut left wrist
1 cut right wrist
1 cut left shoulder
1 cut right shoulder
a few cuts left knee
Nowadays I typically use superglue as needed because I don't like the ER wait, didn't have enough glue for the knee...but it was more than glue could do. I have had a few concussions and a few broken bones...but most wounds have been cuts and slices.
Scars are cooler than tats and always have better stories!

Last edited:
That looks ugly. I'm guessing that ankle got crushed by something heavy rather than bent around too much? Tell us more! I have images of some poor fellow pinioned by a truck axle until they get there with a better jack.

Did they tell you that you damaged the ligaments that bind your ankle together? It doesn't look like it, since they didn't put in a temporary screw ("transmalleolar) to hold the two lower leg bones together. So long as you didn't break into the ankle mortise itself, that will probably heal up real well.

They didn't let you have the pre-op x-ray? That would look much cooler, we could see all the bones in the wrong places. Please post 'em if you got them.

Best of luck.

A jackstand failure has always been a worrisome concern of mine. I never felt safe with those stamped-steel jackstands; whenever I am stuck using those I always back them up with something, usually a stack of tires. Any more info on the incident would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope you heal up back to 100% soon!

Back