What wedges do you guys use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started felling, I bought a few of the rifled ones from Bailey's.
Nice for learning and stacking. My other concern was felling small diameter leaners.

The last case I bought was the green 10" ones from Bailey's. I like them, good price, and stack just fine; Even on small diameter leaners. Just be extra careful with snow and below freezing temps. They can get a little "skittish" when the wood is frozen!

With the above being said, I have never used the higher end wedges. I would probably like them just fine and spend the extra bucks. Likely, I don't know what I'm missing by using the cheaper ones.

I use the ones from Stihl. They're inexpensive and orange (easy to find when dropped). AND buying them gives me an excuse to stop by the shop to fondle/drool over saws not (yet) in the collection.

Wedges

I picked up a few of the cheap ones while on a visit to Madsen's in Chehalis.

Being a rank amateur and dealing mostly with Alder, I try to avoid any falling that requires a wedge. If it isn't inclined to go where I want it to, I clear out a path to let it go where it wants. It's worked so far for me.

I picked up a few of the cheap ones while on a visit to Madsen's in Chehalis.

Being a rank amateur and dealing mostly with Alder, I try to avoid any falling that requires a wedge. If it isn't inclined to go where I want it to, I clear out a path to let it go where it wants. It's worked so far for me.
tha last part is funnyyyyyyyyy:chainsaw: you sound like my last timber fallin partner. he never could figure out that ther is a reason for a lay out. the other day I have a tree spit the wedge out and butt set, ended uphaveing to do a reverse lay, scared the :censored: out of me(it was soft heart juniper):dizzy: :dizzy:
i use the the stihl wedges or oregon depends on the tree size and species. for the heavy trees i use old style doulble stacks,i make them out of chewed up ten inch wedges.

:givebeer: :cheers:

i have a few from all over. got one husky wedge, a bigger longer hardhead wedge for bigger trees, and then some other no name wedge i got for a few bucks. i also have a few wooden wedges that i got for 75 cents awhile back, never used them before but mabey some day i will?
i try to get trees to fall in line with the lean, but sometimes thats not possible. so then i use the wedges.

I haven't bought a wedge in years. Normally when tree planting season comes along. I will just pick up the ones the fallers left in the unit. If they are broke, take it to the belt sander. Fixed. Or maybe I'm that cheap? :clap:

I used to use the double taper yellow with orange heads, until a fallin partner got me hooked on K&H red and white ones, theyre great havent had one spit out of the back cut yet, once they're started the stay stuck. usually carry 3 of the 10 inch and 1 of the 12 inch. if i'm in alot of small timebr i switch one of the 10 inch for one of the 8 inch

Red ones, orange ones, and some wooden ones. Oh, and some metal ones for splitting rounds with. The plastic ones are best for felling with, but they get abused pretty easy. The tips get cut off by the saw chain and the backs get smacked up with the maul. I found that they trim up nicely scraping them on asphault or concrete roads.

The last large pine tree I dropped I banged all my plastic wedges in and it did not fall over. It was hung on a limb, and teetering. So I went to the previous tree and cut out a wider wood wedge from the stump and smacked it in, and over she went. Here is a photo of that 'custom chainsaw milled' wooden freebie wedge that did the job.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Biggest, baddest wedge I've even seen is just starting a "Which Saw should I buy", or "Stihl MS??? VS. Husky ???XP" thread.

Works every time,

Joat

Apologies to Gary, but an oil thread works pretty well too.

Last edited:
Biggest, baddest wedge I've even seen is just starting a "Which Saw should I buy", or "Stihl MS??? VS. Husky ???XP" thread.

Works every time,

Joat

Apologies to Gary, but an oil thread works pretty well too.

I like the Stihl wedges the husky ones are gloss finish instead of matt
Not that we have a lot of options here!

Tommy,

You starting the mother of all wedge wars?

Joat

I have both and the husky ones are slippy
We were out cutting a Leyand cypress a few weeks ago and i asked the guy why he didnt wedge the tree over, He tells me he has never used a wedge in 20 years???? As we threw a rope up and i dragged it over with a tractor!!!

I cut some from a green Sweet Gum stump and soaked them in oil.
Seems to work fine.

Back