What woodstove do you have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you all keep your glass so clean on stoves and inserts with a glass door? Mine is creosoted over and I burn my insert with full air 95% of the time.

Thanks
Shipper

I use a product by Rutland that works very well- it's a glass conditioner that leaves a silicone on the glass to help make the next cleaning very easy. The name is something like "Hearth and grill glass conditioner". It comes in a little squeeze bottle for about $ 4 or so. I've been using it for years.

How do you all keep your glass so clean on stoves and inserts with a glass door? Mine is creosoted over and I burn my insert with full air 95% of the time.

Thanks
Shipper

You wont believe this, and I absolutely swear by it. An old mechanic I worked with told me to take an old rag, dip it in water, then rub it around in fire ash. (Make sure its cold ash with no hot coals) then rub it around until it cleans the residue off. Trust me on this. let the ash film dry on the glass. Then use wadded up newspaper to rub it clean. Best parts are the ash is right there, and you can use the newspaper to start the fire afterwards.

I have tried the ash but without the water. I will have to wait for a warm spell to try all the methods suggested. Thanks for trying to help out a newbie on the board.:D

Shipper

Enviro-Fire Kodiak 1200 stove insert upstairs and a behemoth of a stove downstairs that came with the house.

The Enviro-Fire, like the Quadra Fire 5100 posted earlier has a double-burning chamber that burns off the smoke. It's got a built-in fan which is also a plus!

The stove downstairs isn't the most environmentally-friendly thing but it will heat up some square footage!

Enviro-Fire Kodiak 1200 stove insert upstairs and a behemoth of a stove downstairs that came with the house.

The Enviro-Fire, like the Quadra Fire 5100 posted earlier has a double-burning chamber that burns off the smoke. It's got a built-in fan which is also a plus!

The stove downstairs isn't the most environmentally-friendly thing but it will heat up some square footage!

Hey, .aspx!
Does that "behemoth" have a company name on it anywhere? US Stove, maybe???

I'd like to see a pic if you have one. I want one of those stoves so I can build a new garage around it :).

BTW, Welcome to the site! (did you think I'd forget the "." in your screen-name?)

Thanks for the welcome. The .aspx represents a file extension that I work with each day as I am a software developer during the week and a backyard lumberjack at night and weekends! ;)

I'll take a look at that stove later tonight and post a picture.

Even though the insert is a good idea, I love having a fire in the fireplace. We have a woodstove in the basement for heating the house. The fireplace, hard to explain, just nice.

rb, have you considered an insert? I think one would look good.

Aaron

Yes I have. But our winters are really mild here. It would be nice to heat 100% with wood though. I can get enough of it for free. Even if I had to get wood delivered it is only $130/cord. But that would take the fun out of it! Have to put the fireplace insert on the Christmas list next year. What does a decent one start at?

Does anyone else have a Silent Flame wood stove? Made in N.C. I love mine.

Yes. For heating in mild temps 40 and above it is great. For anything colder it is a wood hog! Our Silent Flame was here when we bought the house. I got the manual downloaded and saw effeciency ratings of 32%. Yuck!! I am planning to install a new wood stove before next year's heating season.

kodiak_insert.jpg

I have the Sahara by Drolet. Its an EPA wood stove and it is great. Its rated for 2000 sqft, my house is 2400+ and it as no problem heating it. Also very little deposits in the chimney, only need to clean once a year. Can't go wrong with this one.

Latest posts

Back