What woodstove do you have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a 1 yr Old Used Vermont Castings Encore NC 1450. It was too small for the house where it was at and they upgraded. I got a great deal. Heats my 2000sq ft. Raised Ranch, but I think I wll be cutting vents into the floor. Basement hits 90 :angry2: while the upstairs hits 70!:clap:

It is installed temporarily in the fire place as I am remodeling the basement. The Fireplace will be demoed this spring and a nice Granite Stone back and log holder will be added.

It was nice knowing the Oil Man for a while, I'll miss him!:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I have found the Pacific Energy product we have does not have to be stuffed with wood to really put out the heat. Does a nice job with just a couple of sticks at a time. For night or extended burns, I still fill er up, though.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Woodstove

Woodstock soapstone Fireview model. We have owned it for about two years.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but I want you to know that I am more than pleased with what I have. The soapstone really does retain and radiate heat much longer than the surrounding cast iron parts.

The stove was installed with stainless steel oval flex pipe running up the existing masonry fireplace and chimney. In fact, other than the stove, everything connected to it from the back of the stove to the very chimney cap is stainless steel.

Also, we keep a ceiling fan constantly going in the living room, just in front of the stove to keep the warm air circulating throughout the house. The house is only about 1000 square feet, one floor, so it works just fine.

Regards,

David

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on that!

You bet. Here are three sticks of Red Maple. Stayed around 500 deg F for around a hour or so.

It is 20 deg F here this morning so I'm burning the woodstove hot before I have to leave on Service Calls/Appointments.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

woodstock fire view

Woodstock fireview,greatttttttttttt stove.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Cawley Lemay 600

Beautiful stove
I wish they hadn't gone out of business in 1984
It's getting very hard to get parts.

I wish I could find someone one the east coast that sells the replacement parts. The only place I know of is in Portland, OR.

:cheers:

I am really late on picking up this thread, but I finally found parts for my Cawley-Lemay 400 stove. I bought the stove in the mid seventies, have used it every winter since. It is just the right size for my small living room. The ignition grid and baffle are falling apart, although the rest of the stove is in great shape. [url=http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/ has the ignition grid and baffle as well as the side plates for this stove. I just ordered the baffle and grid today, so I don't have them yet. You probably have already found this site, but if not you might want to check them out.

Last edited:
CHECKPHOTOS101.jpg
no fuel like an old fuel:blob2:

i'm taking a year off from burning split firewood in my chainsaw shop.(notice the chimmney is missing)
seeings how i am a split firewood dealer here in mt washington valley,i'm getting some static on my new stove :hmm3grin2orange:
the woodstove is going to be back next year,over in the corner,hooked up to a new double flu chimmney.
there is going to be a woodstove directly below it,in the new "repair" shop in the basement

:rock:

been gone for along time, 5 years to build new house & shop , have a portage & main ml 30 , love it, custom plumbing in 4000 sq house & 1600sq x 18' ceiling shop

this is the dinosaur that i use, you can put a pile of wood in this thing, it sorta looks homemade to me, but i don't know. i would like to upgrade to a newer more efficient unit, in hopes of using less wood. i would estimate that i go through 12-15 truck loads of wood per year. does this seem like a lot to you guys? alright, gotta go load up the stove, i think winter is here to stay. keep warm.

this is the dinosaur that i use, you can put a pile of wood in this thing, it sorta looks homemade to me, but i don't know. i would like to upgrade to a newer more efficient unit, in hopes of using less wood. i would estimate that i go through 12-15 truck loads of wood per year. does this seem like a lot to you guys? alright, gotta go load up the stove, i think winter is here to stay. keep warm.

Well, many of these older "gangster door" wood burners aren't as efficient as newer designs. I believe a more efficient stove would consume less firewood without sacrificing heat output.

Not that I've got room to talk. Ours is a US Stove King model. Flat top, non-EPA.

Grandma Buck 1983

Still goin strong. Replaced blower motor and pipes twice in let's see how many years? The wood you see to the right of the stove comes in the back door, laundry room, and the into a side closet. The opening above the wood pile is accessed from that closet. No mess on the carpet and keeps the boss happy. The rocks came from Brown County IN. and keep the heat for a long time. As you can see a favorite resting place for Mac, a silver lab.

About a 60 year old Columbia cook stove. Never designed to burn air-tight, and most of the joints have opened up substantially since it was built. Keeps an uninsulated cabin ok most of the time, and in the skilled hands of our cook has kept plenty meat on our bones. We use a lot of wood, but this cabin is in the middle of over 150,000 acres of state forest, so we get by.
attachment.php

View attachment 284547

New Englander Add-On furnace, Burns HOT, Clean and usually pretty long depending on the wood! been burnin it for 4 years in a drafty old schoolhouse that was built in 1850's . Its not EPA at all, but i still manage to keep the chimney clean, and the house above 85 all winter long without plastic on the windows! lol Oh, and window fans too...gotta have those for sleeping! bahaha.

Latest posts

Back