What would you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootsie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am pretty new at this. How would you go about charging for a lot to be cleared. It is 1000 feet long and 12 ft wide. The customer wants the trees knocked down. Where would I begin with pricing this job? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

no ne is going to respond without first one cubic butt load of MORE INFORMATION.

secondly, nothing has any definite worth. Having the lot cleared is worth however much the client is willing to pay. I'm just starting out and I've under priced a couple of job and made nothing, and I've overpriced and lost the client. Just give it a whack.

//my 2c

So far that is all the information I have. I am trying to set up a meeting time so I can see the lot.

You might want to try to sell it at an hourly wage. That way you'll start getting a feeling of how much work there is in such a job. Tell the customer that u're a bit unsure of how long the work will take. Charging by the hour the customer gets what he pays for. If you have to give a fixed price, you'll have to add about 20% to what you estimate it will take, just to make sure you don't loose money. This way the customer sees that this is probably the cheapest option.

I use this option quite often, and find that people that want a job done, accept it, while people that don't accept this option often are just price-shopping. But then off course we have a good reputation and I sell the Job as a "company they can trust" :)

Are you having to chip the trees after they are cut or just cut and thats it?

Just trees knocked down. It is a roadway and then 1/2 acre at the bottom next to a lake. I will take the wood for myself. I am in Nova Scotia and the owner is in Ontario.

Bootsie, I don't know how much experience you have with cutting trees but just make sure you are not alone when you go to do the job and just because your dropping them and not climbing them doesn't make the job any less dangerous. Keep your head up and make it worth your while.

Thanks for the advice. I am afraid of under selling myself. I had that problem when I got into the flooring business. I am still fairly new at this but I have been cutting very large spruce on my uincle's congested property for quite a while. If I have any doubts I simply will not do it.

If you are getting the wood give the guy a deal. Roughly how many trees are there? Just cutting them from the ground should not be too labor intensive. Think about how much of your time, machinery or any other expenses it would take to complete the job.

A 12' wide roadway where you just have to cut the trees? Where does the waste go and if its a roadway, why aren't you pulling the stumps? Do you mean you're clearing the sides of the roadway for passage to the lot, a roadway that already exists:confused:?

If you are getting the wood give the guy a deal. Roughly how many trees are there? Just cutting them from the ground should not be too labor intensive. Think about how much of your time, machinery or any other expenses it would take to complete the job.

If you are leaving the wood give him a deal on a whole quote...If doing it by the hr, charge for hauling the wood off site. I always find it funny when a homeowner asks for a deal if I am taking the wood they always give the reply "isn't it worth money".....don't let any one pull that trick on you. Its allot of labor and costs to move wood. If your out to get some firewood get it close to home.

Back