What would you do in my shoes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In our jurisdiction you have the legal right to refuse an unsafe job. You cannot be fired. If you are fired, sue for dismissal without cause and complain to OSHA.

In your situation, what I would suggest is have it out with the boss. You will not work with him or his brother if they are still drunk. You will not work within the Safe Working Limits of the powerline, regardless of who sold the job. It's their problem to go whining to the customer if the job can't be done. Finally, ask to take responsibility on how the job is done, then demand a raise to compensate for the enhanced responsibility.

I know wages in different areas vary considerably, but we start 'off the street' green groundies for more than you make.

One piece of advice I always give my kids, it is easier to go from a job to a job, than from unemployment to a job.

In our jurisdiction you have the legal right to refuse an unsafe job. You cannot be fired. If you are fired, sue for dismissal without cause and complain to OSHA.

In your situation, what I would suggest is have it out with the boss. You will not work with him or his brother if they are still drunk. You will not work within the Safe Working Limits of the powerline, regardless of who sold the job. It's their problem to go whining to the customer if the job can't be done. Finally, ask to take responsibility on how the job is done, then demand a raise to compensate for the enhanced responsibility.

I know wages in different areas vary considerably, but we start 'off the street' green groundies for more than you make.

One piece of advice I always give my kids, it is easier to go from a job to a job, than from unemployment to a job.
Yes, Did this today. Told them I am going to see family for two weeks, If I cant collect unemployment "look for another climber" when I get back we will discuss wage and safety, if we cant do that "look for another climber" if I don't get to make the decisions over when my crew goes out "look for another climber". It actually went over better than I thought and they seemed kinda shook. But really, I have an offer at the largest private competitor for $25 an hour come march so I really doubt I will be calling them back. This was a BIG learning experience. They let me start climbing with ZERO experience so I guess I can thank them for my intro, but most other people wold have killed themselves by now. I came in with nursery and rock climbing experience so figured out how to keep myself alive, and not do any property damage. The companies I have interviewed for seemed stoked on my production level so I got a good start without dying.

A
If you are interested in working in Helena PM me :) I will be hiring another climber in the spring, once hired it's fulltime with benefits.
I appreciate the hell out of the offer, I REALLY do. but we are staying in Missoula for the mean time and moving to Portland as soon as our house sells.

So, I thought about posting this under an alias but then said **** it, if anyone involves reads this they need to hear it anyway.
I am about two seconds away from calling OCEA on my current job.
Why:
1. My CDL driver / groundie shows up almost too drunk to drive the boom truck in a straight line every morning. He is the owners brother so while everyone knows about the situation no one really speaks up. I have asked them to go take my CDL test several times but it always gets swept under the carpet, because time that I am not climbing is production lost.

2. Our forman/ estimator seems incapable of recognizing electrical hazards. When I started at this company I knew nothing about power lines, and still don't know a whole lot besides the ones up top will probably kill you. I have shown up to numerous jobs that he has bid to find singed tips rubbing against very mean looking lines. When I called to tell him about it he has said to me "well maybe just get the stuff you can get" UMMMMMM no thank you, we will come back once the lines have been cleared.

3.Know when to give your ONLY climber a ****ing break! the last three days in Montana have been record breaking cold. I spurred out a 80ft 20 something inch DBA doug fir two days ago in -6 ambient temp with wind chill up to 40 degrees below zero. burrr. also worked sun up to past sun down today in 6 inches of fresh snow and falling and 0 temps. Not saying that this is the worst conditions anyone has ever worked in but damn, call it a week and start over when the temps swing above zero a bit.

4. The last climber called it quits when the owner was running his crane still drunk from the night before with the climber on the ball...... YEAH.

5. I make $13 an hour

so, I know I need to find a new job. I have some fairly promising leads and one offer for the spring all of which pay much much better. None of them start until the spring. My question, do I call OCEA before they kill some one, or just walk away now and say **** the unemployment for the winter?????

Come to Southern Indiana...i have a nice job for you!

I have a hard time understanding the situation. The tree work side of my company is part time (I do consulting too), so I pay guys at the top end per hr. to keep them interested. $12.50 to start on the ground. You really need to look around for another job. I would pay a climber that is comfortable pruning or removing large trees over targets $20 TO START. I climb too, and put myself into bids at $30 an hr.

BTW guys, I have enough people working for me right now.

Call OSHA and tell them what is going on and they will understand while you are very upset with this job. Get out of their and get a job where they actually appreciate you at. A good climber is very important at any job and that's not cool risking your life for people who don't give two licks about you.

Dont accept the unnecessary risk they are exposing you to. Be intolerant of it and tell the owner you will not stand for it, either change it or walk off for the day. Ive seen some of the lazies walk off for far lesser things than a realy safety issue and then come back in a day, 2 or 5. Make your position known and stand your ground. Be up front with him if you do walk off for the day (or just half day if they need sobering time?). Then if you come back with next day make sure you pull him aside and let me hin know that you will continue to do that if they continue to put you at risk. I think you are quite justified in doing that and also about the power lines, jsut wait until the utility or whomever cleans it up...

Dont accept the unnecessary risk they are exposing you to. Be intolerant of it and tell the owner you will not stand for it, either change it or walk off for the day. Ive seen some of the lazies walk off for far lesser things than a realy safety issue and then come back in a day, 2 or 5. Make your position known and stand your ground. Be up front with him if you do walk off for the day (or just half day if they need sobering time?). Then if you come back with next day make sure you pull him aside and let me hin know that you will continue to do that if they continue to put you at risk. I think you are quite justified in doing that and also about the power lines, jsut wait until the utility or whomever cleans it up...

I couldn't of said it any better Marshy! I totally agree with that. No job is worth losing your life over. Period.

i know it would keep me up at night if i really felt like someone might take my place that wasn't as lucky as me.

I'd do a big smelly turd in them, after I'd had a night of curry and beer. Then, I'd use a stick to push the turd right up where the toes are so you couldn't see it. You wouldn't notice it was there, so by the time you felt it with your toes, it would be too late.

Latest posts

Back