What would you guys do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Up here, everyone states cord when it's actually a face cord in their ads. I don't think I've talked to anyone that uses the term face cord. It's just custom up here and everyone knows it. I can understand if your in an area that normally sells full cords, then someone starts selling face cords without mentioning it. But I don't think its a big deal.

I'm not sure where your hostility comes from, but I haven't interpreted anyone's post as whining about his selling price. At the same time, though, it's illegal, not to mention unethical, to knowingly advertise a price for something that isn't correct. I doubt the seller has any malicious intent in this case, but that doesn't change the fact his advertisement doesn't match what he's selling.
It would be like a gas station deciding to sell gas by the quart instead of gallon. Most signs don't have the volume, just the price. Can you imagine the uproar you'd have when people realized how many quarts it took to fill their tank and what the price was. Even if the price per gallon worked out cheaper than the joint across the street, people would still freak out because they pulled in expecting to get gas for 1/4 the amount they normally pay.
The moral of the story is it just makes sense to advertise the amount (in legal terms-not local jargon) you're selling for the advertised price. Firewood is about the only often-traded commodity I can think of where this even is an issue at all.

Let's start with your projection of "hostility". And it is a projection. It is a complaint on this and other forums from those who don't do their own, that an extremely labor intense and marginally profitable and risky commodity such as firewood is made to cheat the buyers. Has Habanero ever harvested a full cord from the stump ? Doubtful.
Those who do talk about "cheating" and "ethics" and "legality" don't think about the same when buying other commodities that they don't fully understand: e.g. vehicles, chainsaws, stocks, milk, say.....raw chemicals ? :dizzy: etc.... Hey, firewood is easy: just throw it in the truck and run out to cheat those naive buyers.
From an objective point of view the CL seller IS selling a stated amount of wood for an advertised price. In this Free Market ---like most things we all buy ---you have a choice to buy or not. If you want to whine about legalities, or ethics, fine. But then there are many many more intelligent, reality-based viewpoints.
Now Habanero et. al.: do you willingly pay MSRP for your vehicle ?:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

... Has Habanero ever harvested a full cord from the stump ? Doubtful...

Well bud, have you happened to take a look at my signature. Do you think I have those saws (and the ~15 others that I don't have listed) just for the heck of it? Growing up, all we had was wood heat and burnt about 8 cord a winter in an old Ben Franklin stove. I learned to run a saw when I was about 10-12 years old, and it was a Homelite XL-12 so there was no creature comfort to it. I grew up on a farm, and know first hand what it's like to spend 10 hours on a hay rack, then spend another 4 hours stacking in the barn. I have about 6 cord in my pile at home right now, 90% of which was split with a 13 lb monster maul. Shall I go on?? Moral of the story, I not only know what work is, I can probably work you into the ground and keep right on going. So you can shove your "doubtful" right straight up you a$$.

Now, to address your point about the CL seller. According to the original poster, the guy's "cords" are really not 128 cubic feet. If he delivers any less than 128 cubic feet for the $40 advertised price, than he is not delivering what he advertised...period. If he's selling a face cord, than that is what he should have put in his ad. Nobody has ever argued that the $40 is a bad price for a 1/3 cord; my only point is I don't agree with people not selling what they advertise.

The milk and raw chemicals you mentioned are both sold for a specific price for a very specific amount. Both are very carefully monitored to be sure the buyer is getting what they are told they are getting. Stocks and new vehicles don't have a specific weight or volume, but if the buyer doesn't know what they are getting it's their own fault for not reading the information that's always provided. Firewood is impossible to regulate as closely because neither weight nor volume is a perfect way to sell it. Weight isn't feasible because most sellers aren't going to have a scale, and if they did the moisture content would be a problem. Volume isn't perfect either, because there are inherent inaccuracies do to stacking. But, most states regulate exactly what constitutes a cord, and it seems to me a seller would want to abide by the law. Most do, but there are always those that don't and take advantage of people.

One other thing...

I know that there has been a bit of discussion about what the common lingo is in a given area which I think plays a part in this. I get the idea that there are may parts in the country that call 1/3 of a cord a variety of things (face cord, cord, rick, what have you). Around here I have found that folks call 1/3 of a cord a face cord, for the most part. Again the fella KNOWS what a cord is and what 1/3 of a cord (face cord) is and has decided to call it a cord.

A side note...

There are a lot of guys who are honest to goodness hard workers who are cutting, splitting, stacking and delivering 1 cord of wood at $120.

This guy is doing the same thing for $40??????? Nope! But he says he is.

When I see adds in the paper and on CL for firewood at 50-65 a cord I never expect it to be any more than a face cord. If it was for a full cord I would just sell my saws and buy their wood.

Well bud, have you happened to take a look at my signature. Do you think I have those saws (and the ~15 others that I don't have listed) just for the heck of it? Growing up, all we had was wood heat and burnt about 8 cord a winter in an old Ben Franklin stove. I learned to run a saw when I was about 10-12 years old, and it was a Homelite XL-12 so there was no creature comfort to it. I grew up on a farm, and know first hand what it's like to spend 10 hours on a hay rack, then spend another 4 hours stacking in the barn. I have about 6 cord in my pile at home right now, 90% of which was split with a 13 lb monster maul. Shall I go on?? Moral of the story, I not only know what work is, I can probably work you into the ground and keep right on going. So you can shove your "doubtful" right straight up you a$$.
Now, to address your point about the CL seller. According to the original poster, the guy's "cords" are really not 128 cubic feet. If he delivers any less than 128 cubic feet for the $40 advertised price, than he is not delivering what he advertised...period. If he's selling a face cord, than that is what he should have put in his ad. Nobody has ever argued that the $40 is a bad price for a 1/3 cord; my only point is I don't agree with people not selling what they advertise.

The milk and raw chemicals you mentioned are both sold for a specific price for a very specific amount. Both are very carefully monitored to be sure the buyer is getting what they are told they are getting. Stocks and new vehicles don't have a specific weight or volume, but if the buyer doesn't know what they are getting it's their own fault for not reading the information that's always provided. Firewood is impossible to regulate as closely because neither weight nor volume is a perfect way to sell it. Weight isn't feasible because most sellers aren't going to have a scale, and if they did the moisture content would be a problem. Volume isn't perfect either, because there are inherent inaccuracies do to stacking. But, most states regulate exactly what constitutes a cord, and it seems to me a seller would want to abide by the law. Most do, but there are always those that don't and take advantage of people.

We have an Anger Management problem boy. :censored:"Work who into the ground " ? And, a 13 lb Monster Maul !! Gee, most of us can only dream of using that. :cheers: Those 20+ saws in your signature...who knew. You gotta get a life.
This is a virtual reality Habo, you can be or say anything you want.....in fact you may not be a you. But let's get back to why you feel so strongly about the poor slob selling what it states in the ad that works you up. Why ?
And who exactly "monitors carefully" those commodities you know about ?
And why with all that macho maul work and those oh so many cords you hand process do you slam the firewood producers who are "trying to cheat" ?
In this market neither milk nor your raw chemicals are strictly anything. Do you measure every quart...carefully ? How about that saltpeter ( P. Permanganate ) you buy ? :censored: Measured carefully ? Monitored ?
So forget about the a$$ thing.

When I see adds in the paper and on CL for firewood at 50-65 a cord I never expect it to be any more than a face cord. If it was for a full cord I would just sell my saws and buy their wood.

I hear ya!!

The MIL was hurting for wood last year, and one of my SIl's didher a favor by buying a "Cord" and having it delivered. Cost her 90 bucks.

I get over there with the wife to stack it, and it's more than half elm and Sassafrass, lotsa wormy/rotten chunks, and some green apple chunks.

The MIL. is all appreciative saying, "The man was so nice, he loaded up his truck all the way over the sides for the same price".

I was livid, and the wife poked me hard in the ribs when I started to say her sister got ripped off.

Later the wife explained that the MIL. grew up a Jackape, and her granddad sold wood by the truckload as a "Cord" to the summer cottage folks.
Hence a "Cord" was a truck load. LOL!!!

Ya just can't go around telling the world Gramps was a huckster/poacher/thief.;)
Even if he was one of the best at all three.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back