what would your heating bill be if

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heating bills costs if not burning wood

• 100-150

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 150-200

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • 200-250

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • 250-300

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • 300+

Votes: 125 55.8%

• Total voters

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
was sitting here last night and wondering about peoples heating bills in the winter would be if we didn't burn wood. Our place is all electric so i roughly figured that ours would be 4-450.00 a month. That is going by what it was before we starting burning wood and rates going up. So that is a savings of 350-400 a month on the electric. I can cut and haul 10 years worth of wood for that much money saved each month.

Last edited:
I was talking with a neighbor who lives about 1/4 mile away. Same size house with an older model oil furnace like mine. He spends about $2300 per year on oil. I've noticed the few times I've been to his place that their house is cool by my standards, maybe 62-65 inside. With my wood stove, I try to keep the place around 70, but it's usually 72 or 73. Perhaps burning enough oil to keep my house that warm would be $2700, maybe $3000 per year? So, I voted for the 200-250/month category.

we have a propane furnace last year I filled it one time (600 bucks)
friends of ours have same size house, furnace etc they filled four times (2400bucks a year for a savings of 1800 a year

when I used to travel for work and couldn't heat with wood I would go through ~500 Gallons of oil. I think oil around here is running $3.12/gallon, so $1560/year =~$390/month

We've been heating with wood for over 30 years. So I' don't really know, but would guess, we're saving $150-$200 a month.

2100sq house heat set at 75 i'm runnin around $110 per month in elect. before owb...heat set at 67 and monthly bill was around 450, so around $325-360 per month...

with a new stack and stove 2 years ago everything was paid for the first year from propane savings... averaging 2,5 gals. per day during the cold of winter and 1 gal per day of warmer temps(775 gals)..... gas is 2.10 a gal. here or $1628.00 a year for cooking, dryer an water heater......

This is only my 2nd year with a wood insert. I saved over $2300 last year. With the cost of insert/splitter/Stihls I should break even by Jan/Feb '13. However my home is Warmer, My garage has 3 Stihls, Wife loves the looks of the insert. I think I'm already ahead of the Game!!

Burn Safe!

This is the first winter in our old farm house. Previous owner said he paid $2000 for oil last year. He had a 30 year old oil furnace. We put in a new propain furnace for back up and installed a stainless steel chimney and wood stove. I'm sure I can pay for the cost of the wood stove in this first year and the cost of the furnace in another 2. So far this year our propain bill is $0.

I have a natural gas furnace. I am guessing about 150.00 per month to run it. Although then I would be rationing heat, now if you are in anyway cold, by all means add another log to the fire. :cheers:

My house is heated by propane and the last fillup of my 500 gallon tank was 3.18 dollars a gallon from amerifraud.

This is only my 2nd year with a wood insert. I saved over $2300 last year. With the cost of insert/splitter/Stihls I should break even by Jan/Feb '13. However my home is Warmer, My garage has 3 Stihls, Wife loves the looks of the insert. I think I'm already ahead of the Game!!

Burn Safe!

like they say, if momma ain't happy then no one is happy:D:D

My house is total electric, runs around $200 a month most of the time. If I ran my heat it would be around $500, and they just got another increase.:mad:

Last edited:
Our house is also 100% electric. Last year, we had bills of $400-$500/mo and the house was still cool by my standards. This year, our electricity usage is 45% of what is was last year and the heat is real heat. Our puny, underpowered HVAC is used only as backup for colder nights these days.

Electric HVAC just doesn't heat like a wood stove! Especially when your HVAC unit isn't big enough to heat your sq. footage.

I do not have my add on wood furnace hooked up yet(almost done) my house is 100% electric (heat pumps) my bill is usually around 375 to 450 in the winter, I am hoping to cut that in half or close to it with wood.By my calculations it should take me about 4 years to break even but the comfort of actually having hot air coming out of the vents will be worth the wait.

Wood Heat is 1/4 the Cost of Other Heat:

Here in Ontario, Canada we pay around $1000 a tank of oil. And it's about $500-$600 to fill a 300 gal propane tank so I figure we're paying almost 30% more for fuel than in the US right now. With our dollars almost at par, that's a heck of a lot more. There is also 13% tax here on just about everything, good and services.
My buddy heats a 1800 sq ft home with an oil furnace and paid around $3000-$3300 to heat his place last year and it was around 68 deg. inside. That's just heating oil. Not taking into account the electric blower.
I heat with a combo of wood pellet stove and wood stove and it's usually about 70°-72° in my place.
My pellet cost for the whole heating season is $400(about 75, 40lb bags) and firewood is about $200 (one cord) so $600 total to heat this 2400 sq ft house.
So I'd say that I'm saving around $500-$600 per month over electric/oil/gas heat. Works out to around about a $2500 savings per heating season.

Last edited:
I have burnt wood as a supplement from day 1 from building my house. Furnace, water, and cooktop are LP. I figure 1200 gal /year with wood supplement. House is raised ranch/tuck under garage 4200 sq ft total, all heated. Deciding factor for me to install outdoor boiler and do it all was when they told me I could only contract 200 gal for the heating season because of a mild winter and me heating with wood with stat upstairs at 62. 1000 gal LP tank should run my grill and cook top for the next 30 years!:clap:With the OWB, I now heat the shop too, and keep house at 67, shop at 55. Comfy for me as I am a sweating fool.

Latest posts

Back