what would your heating bill be if

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heating bills costs if not burning wood

• 100-150

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 150-200

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • 200-250

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • 250-300

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • 300+

Votes: 125 55.8%

• Total voters
Our first winter in the house, oil was about 1.10/gal. And it costed about $1,200 to keep us warm with no wood for the cookstove.

Damn drafty old farmhouse, ca 1860 in central NH. Outdoor temps range from 20 to minus 20 at night. Temps are less a biggie than the wind. Not too cilley tonight (19 at present) but the north wind keeping the flag whippen makes things tough on the ridge.

Last year I told the oil guy to deliver the minimum of 100 gallons. Only 65 gallons would fit after a year's heating. Wood heat makes shoe string NH living possible. At current prices, oil heat would be about 3k a year, whilst subsidizing al quaeda. Rather, I'd prefer to cut in a few miles from home and tell the jihadists to take a hike.

p.s. - 75 to 80 * - yikes! That's too hot! :blob2:

Last complete fill of the propane tank was 600+ bucks.

That was when we moved into the place after building it 4 years ago.

I suspect it would take 5 fills a year if we ran on propane alone.
It's an ugly proposition.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Wood furnace!

I do not have my add on wood furnace hooked up yet...

Which furnace did you go with? We went with a Taylor. It paid for itself the first year. Now it only costs fuel, chainsaw maintenance, and back pills. It heats the house, master room floorboards, water heater, and the front room radiator. The house right now is maybe 75*. It is hungry at 75*, tho, but I have been clearing a lot of land lately.

large.jpg

I figure I save about $2000-$3000 a year depending on oil prices. Right now, it's around $3.00 a gal, so a typical 250 gal fill up is $750. Plenty of people in older houses are looking at that every month. For a lot of folks, it's a bit of a struggle to come up with that. And like many of you guys have said, people keep their thermostats turned down in an attempt to save money. But then you end up in the crazy situation where your paying big bucks for heat and walking around in a cold house. Insane.

I've been burning wood for 15 years, and I've been lucky enough to never have had to pay for for a single piece. Kind of easy for me because owning the store, I know plenty of loggers and tree guys, and I can always score some wood for free. Actually going to cut a couple loads Christmas eve morning before the family comes up. :chainsawguy:

Merry Christmas guys!

We used 1800 gallons of propane last year...at $2.39 (last years average) that's $4302.00 per winter. I have the cost of a saw, used splitter, and furnace to recover but believe that we can do that this first winter then it's basically making me $4300 per year...

Oil sucks

2500 sq ft home 2 floors built 1864 , 275 gal. oil tank , I would go through a tank a month in the winter about a $1000 a month , my tank is in ground and it ruptured 3 years ago loosing all my oil . Been 100% wood ever since and I aint going back

In the winter months, I was burning about 250 gallons of oil in 4 weeks. This came to about 1000 gallons for the coldest months (mid Nov - mid March). Then, the rest of the year was a little less than 2 tanks (about 400 gal), for a grand total of about 1400 gal. Oil now is over $3.00 / gal, so I would have to pay about $4200 / year for heat and hot water.

I buy 2 tri-axe loads of wood a year, for about $800. I don't use all of it in one year, so every 3rd year or so I only need one load. I'm sure I save over $3000 / year with wood. I have a Tarm Excel dual fuel boiler with an external heat storage tank, so it is very efficient. I only burn once / day, except during the very coldest days. Sure beats paying the Arabs for oil!

I've only heated with gas or wood. My last house would run $300-$450 in the winter. With wood I figure its all free. I sell enough wood to pay for everything. So I get the wood free with alot of labor. Working on a elevator for piling the wood higher.

My house would run about 200 ish on nat gas and my shop would run around 300. With the old blaze kings a runnin, $34 a month combined total on budget plan, 15 of which is the "basic" chage. Kiss my backside Wyo Gas!!

Factor in the cost of the stove, plus the new chain saw I had to buy, cost of buying some of my yearly wood (about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I use I buy), electricity to run the blower, cost of advil for my aching back, and it all adds up to just shy of what I was paying for oil.

BUT my house is 3-5 degrees warmer, and next year, the stove will have paid for itself, the saw will too. So I figure by next year my real savings will be around $1000 a year, on the conservative side.

Also, the fact that I'm not giving my money to the thieving oil companies and thieving arabs (and, through them, terrorists)??? PRICELESS

before our woodstove our propane tank was filled every two months, at about 300-500 during the winter and 200-400 during the summer. Cant get away from it completely though since our water heater and cookstove are both propane but the furnace has been shut off since the stove was installed.

never tried with this house but my last place was costing me 500 a month to heat. I new wen i bought this place that was over.:cheers:

I live in a tall house on a hill. It gets all the wind. Before my wood furnace, we burned 1000-1500 gallons of propane per year. My furnace paid for itself in a little over one year. Now, I have new siding, new windows and very inexpensive heat. Doesn't get better than that!

We downsized from a 1000 gallon tank to a 500 gallon and still have a $250 credit with the propane company for the extra gas that was pumped out of the big tank. I am waiting for them to start charging rent on the tank due to non-use!

It cost me about $1400 per season to keep the house at 63. What it would cost to keep the house at the 76 it is now I don't know. We only turn on the propane furnace if we leave for the weekend or something and then we set the thermostat on 55.

Ian

We set are thermostat at 62 and heat the house to 68-71 with our two wood stoves. Our furnace is an heating oil boiler that circulates to baseboard radiators. To keep house at 70 we use 1 gallon of oil per hour when boiler is firing. This means about 4 hours of burn per day when below 25 outside. 120 gallons per month at $3 per gal = $360 * 5 months of heating = $1800.

currently we use one 275 gal tank of oil per winter = 40 gal/month= $120
we fill in fall each year for $500-$600
(We use more oil at each end of the season when we do not use wood stove.)
Makes the 8-10 cords we burn each winter worth it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

We thank all of you U.S. taxpayers for pensioning me off (and grad school) so that I can now--

Build a 1800 ft² dead seriously insulated place heated 99 44/100 % wood.

Cut ALL our own firewood ( ~ 5-8 cords/year)from our woodlots ).

Take one ( 1 ) long overseas trip/year.

Save enough to enjoy 1-2 shots/day of an excellent single malt. PM for brand.:bowdown:

Unfortunately I have not been able to wrap my brain around a BTU to BTU
comparison cost of LP to wood. Truth: for water heating ( tankless Rinnai), some clothes drying (when SWMBO won't dry out on the line), cooking, and very occasional use of a space heater when we head out in winter to keep the temp above freezing, use of LP Propane comes to around $200/year. So little that they put us at the top of the cost/gallon. Sure makes sense, huh ?:chainsawguy:

Enjoy.

450 per month electric heat pump and burning wood of the evening and all week end. So I would say 550 per month for a cool 66 degree house. Now $150 was our highest bill and I have a forced air outside unit not the boiler unit that does your water also that would save me another 25-40 per month probably.:angry2:

Back