What's a used Stihl MS260 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Crofter
Jokers, you seem to insinuate that Glens description of how the Intellicarb system works, (which I think is bang on) because he does not own a 260 and you own several, that your lack of disregard for the value of mixture compensation somehow carries more weight.

Frank,

I don`t think that I am any different than anyone else in the sense that I have more confidence in my own experience than someone else`s hypothesis. Are you saying that you are different and thus can`t see my point?

My statement regarding operation of an Intellicarb equiped saw with a less than clean filter vs a saw with a dull chain is a simple comparison which wasn`t meant to be pondered to the extent to which you have taken it, although you make good points. It was simply an illustration that performance will be diminished vs the illusion seemingly perpetuated by Stihl that the Intellicarb actually extends the period of time between necessary filter cleanings. If by your logic(your stated scenario) compensated carbs are a good thing, which I`m not disputing, the Husky 357 has it all with a compensated carb and Air Injection. Let`s see Stihl top that! :D

Russ

Originally posted by jokers
Frank,

I don`t think that I am any different than anyone else in the sense that I have more confidence in my own experience than someone else`s hypothesis. Are you saying that you are different and thus can`t see my point?

Jokers, first of all I think Elux filtration much superior.

I dont think I would be quick to indicate that my experience was superior as long as someones hypothesis had no flaws that I could point to. (I might think it but I wouldn't say it. Lol! )

As far as Stihl being complicit in encouraging the perception that the system will prolong filter maintenance intervals, I doubt that it is any worse a sin than Elux not disclaiming the myth of Turbo (charged) induction. One as misleading as the other, whether intentional or not.

The fact that the 260, for quite some time now, is the only "pro" saw in the lineup which has had a non-intellicarb option seems to be placing it in some kind of special category.  How come it's not called a gimmick on all the other saws which use it?

The fact that I don't own an 026/260 does not make my "hypothesis" hypothetical.  My two go-to saws both use the functionality provided by the compensation system.

And I'm still interested in knowing what Partner called "Air Injection" before Elux bought them and it.

Glen

compensated carbs are a good thing, which I`m not disputing
I'll go over your posts again, but in the mean time, I'm finding that a little hard to swallow.&nbsp; If you're not disputing it, what <i>are</i> you doing?

Glen

Originally posted by glens
I'll go over your posts again, but in the mean time, I'm finding that a little hard to swallow.&nbsp; If you're not disputing it, what <i>are</i> you doing?

Glen

Glen,

You should know by now that I can`t let your Stihl fanaticism go unchallenged. Someone`s got to keep you centered!

OH BTW, I don`t really think that compensated carbs are all that big a deal, either a person maintains their equipment or they don`t, I don`t see the carb making any big difference in any aspect of longevity or performance.

Russ

Glen,

You should know by now that I can`t let your Stihl fanaticism go unchallenged. Someone`s got to keep you centered!

OH BTW, I don`t really think that compensated carbs are all that big a deal, either a person maintains their equipment or they don`t, I don`t see the carb making any big difference in any aspect of longevity or performance.

Russ

Either they do , or they don't?

I would think there is a lot of variation in between. At least with a compensated carb the mixture stays relatively constant between filter services. When power drop starts to be noticeable at least the saw has not been operating in an over rich mode in the run up. I think there are more than a few directives about carbon buildup in 2 stroke equipment.

Back