Whats best tool to split By hand ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea i definitely agree. I bought the fiskars super splitting axe and i was AMAZED. I put it to work on some pecan about 18" in diameter, it took about 8 swings and it split, after that, every piece split with one hit. One really good advantage with that axe is it doesn't stick in the wood, with the pecan it just hit and bounced off.

I really like a hickory handled 6# maul for most of the cooperative pieces - this is the one I reach for most often. I find that the hickory isolates vibration better than the fiberglass handled tools I have.

A lighter "splitting axe" (not fiskars, other long handled from Lowes/Southern States/TSC) is great for smaller rounds.

For the largest and most stubborn pieces I rely on an 8# sledge hammer and the sharp ended (not the blunt edged) steel wedges. Once the first split is made I resort to the 6 pound maul or splitting axe.

I split my 10 cords a year by hand - if you intend on this then spend $30 on a pair of youngstown anti-vibe gloves. Your elbow joints will thank you. Watch your form if you don't want to have rotator cuff surgery later too. The key is to use the gross muscle groups (biceps, triceps) for heavy/hard work and fine muscle groups (deltoids) for maneuvering so that you can use the bulk groups.

Not monster maul

I have used the monster maul but I can FEEL the damage that it does to my shoulder. Maybe it is just for the younger guys, but would someone chime in that has used the MM for a long period of time and NOT had damage to their shoulder?

I mena, I know that it looks manly and all, but seriously....

I was going to say a hammer and wedge cause a maul or ax doesn't always do it, the wedge you just keep driving it further.

Easy splitting stuff like walnut and ash I use the double bit axe. Anything else I use the a 15# maul from TSC. We call it the man maker. Other than that we use a small splitter made in Michigan. It is called HeathKit.

Ray

You guys aren't listening to him. He wants to split by hand. You are suggesting tools that stress out a number of components.... hand, arm, shoulder, chest, back, and stomach.

Get a hydraulic splitter. You can split by finger and thumb with that. :)

Ian

There are sooo many threads here @ Arboristsite that have proofed that the Fiskars Super Splitter is a the very best tool for the money!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:clap:

I have used the monster maul but I can FEEL the damage that it does to my shoulder. Maybe it is just for the younger guys, but would someone chime in that has used the MM for a long period of time and NOT had damage to their shoulder?

I'm with ya. I used a MM all 08"-09" season and it took all of last summer for my left shoulder to get back to normal. I bought a 35 ton hydraulic splitter last fall. Just after that I bought a Fiskars Super Split. I was amazed. It split better than the MM with a fraction of the effort. It still hurt my shoulder though, so I must not be completely healed, if I will ever be. It was a good workout though......

I started using the Monster Maul mid 20s. I now am 49. Never had any shoulder operations yet. My wood lot is open for anyone who wishes to come and play.

I find it relaxing compared to power lifting in the gym. Using the Monster Maul it massages my upper torso.

But I will say, no man can beat hydraulics. It is all in what you like to do.

Put the Monster Maul on a grinder and bring a 1/4" of a very sharp edge to the Maul and it splits even better.

Before installing the edge, I used to roll over the factory edge on very old, hard Beech wood. That's where I discovered years ago that grinding a sharp edge made such a difference. This was before the famous Fiskars was produced, at least in my area.

I'll switch to hydraulics as I get older for sure.

if you can swing it, a monster maul is the way to go.

my step dad, 6'5" 280 lbs has been using it every since he was a kid. with that being said, we split w pick up load of wood in 9 minutes one day. he split. i just stood the logs up right if they tipped over.

i cant swing that damn thing. i just use an old wooden handle maul i found at my local hardware store. if i was in the market for a new axe id go for the fiskars. they look nice and comfy

You guys aren't listening to him. He wants to split by hand. You are suggesting tools that stress out a number of components.... hand, arm, shoulder, chest, back, and stomach.

Get a hydraulic splitter. You can split by finger and thumb with that. :)

Ian

a 35 ton hydraulic splitter :chainsaw:

:agree2:

I used to split everything by hand with axes, mauls, and sometimes a wedge and sledge. Since my joints can't take too much of that anymore, I've moved to a 35-ton hydraulic splitter. I still use the hand tools sometimes, and it's usually the Fiskars SSA and sometimes an 8 lb. maul.

The splitting wedge and 10 lb. sledge was great for the big, tough rounds, but it stays in the barn these days because I've had one too many close calls with the wedge flying out of the split. The 35-ton splitter now takes care of just about all the beasties that I don't noodle with a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back