whats better to pull trailer with??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what's better to pull a loaded trailer with, a standard trans or auto???
I'm looking at buying a diesel truck and there's one at the dodge dealership right now, its a 2500 diesel quad cab 4x4 with standard trans and it has an exhaust brake and it also has the power chip along with a K&N filter kit.
the trailer I'll be pulling is a goose neck dumper rated for 7 tons mainly used for firewood.

It would be hard to beat that Allison that's bolted to the Duramax.

It really comes down to personal performance and the deal you can get.

Rule number one should always be to shop around 'a lot' before your convened what will work best for you.

dont know if derge had problems with their manual trans or not. but the autos had to be worked on, or they would tend to take out the overdrive clutches----------should be ok with that one

Can't speak for the dodge deal you have in the works but I can attest that I LOVE my 6.6 Duramax with the 6 speed Allison automatic.....that puppy just flat out PULLS BABY!!!

What model is it? Most of the standards pull better to me in the dodges. The new 6.7 6 speed auto seems to do good also. The exhaust brake is a good option as it would save your truck brakes considerably. I've had 2-93s, 97, 01,02,05, 3-07s. One 07 was an auto, I never towed anything with it so I can't say how it would do. I have towed probably 20k on gooseneck trailers with some of the others and didn' have any problems with the loads. Stopping distance is greatly increased with loads like that. The transmissions in 94-98 had fifth gear nut problems. The 5 speeds after that where pretty good. The nv5600 is hard to beat, the one with reverse beside 5th. The g56 with reverse beside 2nd is ok. They seem to shift a little smoother than the nv5600.

in my opinion a manual gearbox. as long as they have lube and is kept clean, you'll have to try mighty hard to bring it down..

possible problems for breakdown is tremendously cut down, torque converter, no need to keep fluid cool, no pumps, no filters to clog, no hydraulic pressure to depend on, no electronic sensors, one way clutches, the list continues...

If the dodge has the NV4500 (5 speed), you may have 5th gear issues.
The early d-maxes had injector issue, but of late, the dmax seems to be the engine to beat. Just be careful launching in 4wd, one guy a work buckled his front tie rod drag racing in 4wd. Hes over 1000 lb-ft of torque.

What model is it? Most of the standards pull better to me in the dodges. The new 6.7 6 speed auto seems to do good also. The exhaust brake is a good option as it would save your truck brakes considerably. I've had 2-93s, 97, 01,02,05, 3-07s. One 07 was an auto, I never towed anything with it so I can't say how it would do. I have towed probably 20k on gooseneck trailers with some of the others and didn' have any problems with the loads. Stopping distance is greatly increased with loads like that. The transmissions in 94-98 had fifth gear nut problems. The 5 speeds after that where pretty good. The nv5600 is hard to beat, the one with reverse beside 5th. The g56 with reverse beside 2nd is ok. They seem to shift a little smoother than the nv5600.

:agree2: I also like a standard when pulling a trailer!!!Less problems mechanical wise.:agree2:

I prefer a manual transmission over an automatic, but that's just my preference, it's what I learned in.
The biggest killer of auto tranny's is heat. So if you wind up with an auto I'd highly recomend a transmission temp. gauge.
The Dodge you're looking at is speced out real similar to my Dodge 3500, and I haven't hooked to anything it wouldn't pull. I lost 5th gear in mine last fall at 186,000 miles, had the mechanic upgrade the tranny and went on. I've pulled a few loads with a buddy's 6 speed manual & they have great gear spacing for big loads.
In my opinion, whatever diesel you wind up with gauges are an absolute necessity (EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, Trans. Temp.), especially with a chip installed.

Andy

Both my work trucks are Dodge diesels (old school 12v), both have manual NV4500's. The dually will pull 15,000 lbs down the road nicely with that setup. It would be even better were their a sixth gear, but those didn't come till the 5600's. Keep in mind, a manually tranny may need a clutch at some time and it will cost a few hundred to do yourself. An auto tranny will run 2 to $3,000, and you probably won't be doing that yourself.

I prefer a manual transmission over an automatic, but that's just my preference, it's what I learned in.
The biggest killer of auto tranny's is heat. So if you wind up with an auto I'd highly recomend a transmission temp. gauge.
The Dodge you're looking at is speced out real similar to my Dodge 3500, and I haven't hooked to anything it wouldn't pull. I lost 5th gear in mine last fall at 186,000 miles, had the mechanic upgrade the tranny and went on. I've pulled a few loads with a buddy's 6 speed manual & they have great gear spacing for big loads.
In my opinion, whatever diesel you wind up with gauges are an absolute necessity (EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, Trans. Temp.), especially with a chip installed.

Andy

It's not so much that you "lost" it as your shifter could no longer reach it at it's new position on the shaft...:):cheers:

in my opinion a manual gearbox. as long as they have lube and is kept clean, you'll have to try mighty hard to bring it down..

possible problems for breakdown is tremendously cut down, torque converter, no need to keep fluid cool, no pumps, no filters to clog, no hydraulic pressure to depend on, no electronic sensors, one way clutches, the list continues...

yup, keep it simple, any part can, and will break, the fewer parts the better

If you want to do a bit more research check out THEDIESELGARAGE.COM. They cover everything over there.

You realy can't beat a stick. And yes they will walk all over any auto trans made today if driven correctly and be more reliable to boot. If your looking at a 6.7 I'd be more concerned about emissions equipment problems. The new auto trans in the dodges have been updated and seem to be holding up fine with the brute torque of the 6.7.

If your looking at used trucks. I would avoid any ford with a 6.0l earlier than 05'. I have an 04' and have been hapy with it but wouldn't want any one to run into the known issues with them. I realy have not be happy with the Torqueshift trans. Mechanicaly it's fine its just the way it opporates that drives me nutz. I personaly don't like the way it shifts. But they seem to be pretty builet proof and will hold 5-550hp out of modded trucks with no problems.

My old man has an 03' Dmax and the alison. And he's had only one problem with the truck, Injectors. He's on his third set. Trans wise I realy like the way the alison works. Feels solid when there is a load on it. Were the Torqueshift feels like its a wet noodle. Mechanicaly there nice trucks. Gm's interiours just don't fit me and drive me nutz.

The old 5.9 dodges your best bet is to find a manual trans. Even up to the date of its replacement the 6.7. The auto trans has been problematic. But seems to be less an issue on the later years. Still one of those problems like the early 6.0's if you can avoid it RUN! Like stated earlier the auto's behind the 6.7's are a new design and seem to be holding up well.

No matter what you can't go wrong with either. Just go with what feels more comftorble to you. I do regret the decision to buy an auto after many many years of driving a stick previously. My next truck will be a manual trans!

In my personal experience, it depends on were you are going to do the majority of your towing. If you are pulling a lot of hills than manual is the way to go, if you are going to be running on flat ground not allot of hills than an auto with overdrive may actually get better millage and tow better.

In my personal experience, it depends on were you are going to do the majority of your towing. If you are pulling a lot of hills than manual is the way to go, if you are going to be running on flat ground not allot of hills than an auto with overdrive may actually get better millage and tow better.

yup

shifting is murder for an automatic. they gotta shift with full torque unlike a manual., every shift is double wear, as one clutch pack needs to release while another engages, a longer overlap means more slip...smooth isn't my game....i'm always using shift kits when i rebuilt autos.

manuals the best, dump it to the floor and it holds.

i'll tow in overdrive if i know it'll hold. But everything is electronic now so now TPS is used. A little bit of math with TPS and current speed they'll pull out every time, and everyone knows you should never pull out!!

what year is the truck, im suprised the dealership will sell a chiped truck, if it still has a warranty make sure u get it in writing, they void them as soon as they c k and n filter. is it a diesel or hemi....ive got a 99 and an 05 2500 diesel, cant beat the power and fuel econ. but parts and maintenece r double that of a gasser. i will never ever buy a manuel tranny thats just me i hate shifting...if used mostly for towing, autos do put less wear and tear on the drivetrain as a whole but u lose some hp. if towing a lot id look for 4.10 rear.
theres just too many variables, boils down too what do you really want an auto or a stick. so far ive never had a prob towning my trailers (around 6-7k) with either truck. also where i live it usually take 20mins to go 5 miles thats all day everyday. high population density so shifting sucks for me..had a chevy c30 4 speed for 10 years, 1 of the happiest days of my life is when i sold it. 120k on my 99 auto and 70k on my 05 auto.

Last edited:
2 Dodge CTDs here

I've got two 96 Dodge Cummins Turbos, 1 is an automatic, the other has the NV4500 5 speed. The auto I beefed up with a DTT valve body and torque convertor. It'll pull a house off its foundation.

The manual I had my mechanic install the 5th gear nut upgrade kit. When he installed it he had a heck of a time getting the 5th gear nut even off in the first place that it probably would never have ever been an issue, but I wanted it taken care of preemtively.

Both trucks are built like a tank and pull anything well I've ever hooked them up to.

I would pick up the Dodge Cummins 5speed in a NY minute if the price is right.

the truck has a 5.9l Cummings and it has a 6 speed trans with the reverse in the bottom left hole beside second gear. its a lease return also so I asked for the previous owners phone number and they gave it to me without hesitation, the last owner said that he used it to pull a small enclosed trailer for a golf course business he owns and says he never pulled over three tons with it and the trailer was a goose neck also and he said the fuel millage is great even when towing.

Latest posts

Back