What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pins and needles....

Unfortunately my grills and smokers will be cold for a bit as I attempt to re-build the coffers and prepare for a trip next month by working 80 hour weeks so I will be living vicariously through y'all. I did thaw out some pulled pork for lunch for a few tomorrow though.

We'll do our best to keep your mouth watering and your stomach growling.

mustard vinegar sauce
images.jpg

Starting the Vastrami this morning.
My method..

Brine: for every gallon of water, 1/3 cup canning salt and sugar. I use a mix of light brown sugar and stevia.
1 tbsp cure # 1. Also called instacure #1, or Prague powder #1.

In a sauce pan combine 2 cups water too each 2 tbsp pickling spices. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 min.
let cool before adding mixture to your brine.
IMG_20170117_092434245.jpg

Rinse the roasts well in cold water, and inject them with the brine solution. This aids in the curing process, as you are now curling from the inside out as well from the outside.

IMG_20170117_100324781.jpg

Rule of thumb is 2 days in the brine for every inch of thickness, plus 2-4 days for good measure . Thickest part is about 4". So 2x4 = 8 days + 4 = 12 total. You can't "over cure" a chunk of meat as its equalized with the brine. However, you can under cure it. So if something comes up, you can leave it for a extra day or two.

My project fridge with 3 containers of venison starting their 12+ day soak. Along with a supply of smoked cheese.

I'll update in 12 days when the smoking process starts.
IMG_20170117_102232330.jpg

Starting the Vastrami this morning.
My method..

Brine: for every gallon of water, 1/3 cup canning salt and sugar. I use a mix of light brown sugar and stevia.
1 tbsp cure # 1. Also called instacure #1, or Prague powder #1.

In a sauce pan combine 2 cups water too each 2 tbsp pickling spices. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 min.
let cool before adding mixture to your brine.
View attachment 551535

Rinse the roasts well in cold water, and inject them with the brine solution. This aids in the curing process, as you are now curling from the inside out as well from the outside.

View attachment 551536

Rule of thumb is 2 days in the brine for every inch of thickness, plus 2-4 days for good measure . Thickest part is about 4". So 2x4 = 8 days + 4 = 12 total. You can't "over cure" a chunk of meat as its equalized with the brine. However, you can under cure it. So if something comes up, you can leave it for a extra day or two.

My project fridge with 3 containers of venison starting their 12+ day soak. Along with a supply of smoked cheese.

I'll update in 12 days when the smoking process starts.

View attachment 551543

...it's been a long while but years ago I found a recipe for a fish brine w pickling spice, and semi/cold hickory smoked 20 lbs. or so of fresh King Mackerel steaks about 1-1/2" thick. ................ it was probably the best meat I ever smoked.

...it's been a long while but years ago I found a recipe for a fish brine w pickling spice, and semi/cold hickory smoked 20 lbs. or so of fresh King Mackerel steaks about 1-1/2" thick. ................ it was probably the best meat I ever smoked.
I have a pickling recipe that's really good. Can dig it out if anyone is interested.

I'm in, I have a few old smoking cookbooks that the misses put up somewhere and I can't find them.
Just checked the fishing forum that I used to be a part of and they folded the site so I couldn't grab the recipe. I know it's on my old computer but may take some time. It's worth saving though so I'll have to fire up that old POS.

I need the measurements but I know it's 3 days in salt water then rinse well and a day in vinegar then rinse well again and a week in the brine. Sugar, port wine, and pickling spices go in the brine. Of course that means nothing if I can't find the recipe.

I've got a full rack of ribs in the crock pot with a combination beer and vinegar/mustard sauce. I'll cook it overnight then throw it in the fridge or on the back deck aka "grandmas refrigerator" for the day to cool and let the flavors mix.

My grandma used to store food on her back steps all winter if the fridge got full so I coined that term. My wife thinks I'm crazy to do that.

Just checked the fishing forum that I used to be a part of and they folded the site so I couldn't grab the recipe. I know it's on my old computer but may take some time. It's worth saving though so I'll have to fire up that old POS.

I need the measurements but I know it's 3 days in salt water then rinse well and a day in vinegar then rinse well again and a week in the brine. Sugar, port wine, and pickling spices go in the brine. Of course that means nothing if I can't find the recipe.

I think I found the brine recipe I used for the Mackerel.

3 cps water
1 1/2 C pickling salt
3/4 C B sugar
1TBLS coarse B pepper
6 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp. whole allspice
1 1/2 tsp whole cloves 2 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves garlic

brine overnight, rinse well and pat dry, air dry a few hours and smoke. I think this brine would be too strong for mild fish but it was fine on the Mackerel, if a bit too salty, King Mackerel are salty w/o any salt added to them.

Grills been fired up for the last few hours.

First I made chicken and rice for work lunches.

Turned out good. Just used the grill like an oven.

Next threw the pizza stone on.

A boboli crust, sun dried tomato pesto sauce, turkey pepperoni and Wisconsin sharp cheddar.

The neighbors son absolutely loves it. So I gave him half. It is a real treat for him.

I nailed it this time. The crust was a neat combination of crunchy and chewy but not doughy.

My best one yet.

I love this grill

Back